Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Ms Word 2000 File From Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFellow10

GoodFellow10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

I have MS Office 2000 installed on a new Windows XP machine. MS Word 2000 generally has worked well and continues to work well, except for one Word document that I downloaded from the internet (originally prepared on a Macintosh machine with MS Word 98) that won't open. It gives a message that a Read Only file can be opened, but in fact, when the button is pushed, another message arises that "MS Word must close." However, when I try to delete this MS Word document, I get a message that "file cannot be deleted because it is in use by another user or another application." I cannot even place this file into a folder as I get the same message about another user or application is in use. A Search doesn't reveal any other applications in use, so it appears the file was corrupted being downloaded, or the old MS Word 2000 has some incompatibility with the newer Windows XP?

I'd appreciate any help to delete this document from my desktop, and guidance as to how to prevent recurrence. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:02 AM

Try deleting the file from safe mode. That should remove anything that would try and allocate the file.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:18 AM

Rightclick file, select open with and choose notepad, that should do the trickPosted Image to BC BTW

Edited by fozzie, 23 January 2007 - 05:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users