Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conversion Cable For Old Ata To Sata?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Now that I've decided to bite the bullet and build a new system to replace my old one (fried motherboard AND CPUs), I thought I could use my old HD and just put it in the new one.

Whoops.

Didn't realize the new ones are SATA and not ATA.

That said, is there a cable I can buy or some kind of conversion hardware (and probably software, I'd imagine) that would read my old HD and copy it to the new one without having to install XP all over again and lose my data?

I'm shopping on Newegg but haven't checked out yet until I'm certain I have everything I need.

By the way, is it complicated to figure out jumper settings, slave/master settings or motherboard configurations? Should I just pay a vendor to assemble it together and copy the HD for me?

I'd like to build my own PC, but kind of nervous and skeptical regarding my skills.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes there is a IDE to SATA adapter.
If it were me i would assemble the computer myself. I enjoy thinks like that. But that has to be your call. Only you know your abilities. I will say it is not hard you just have to be careful.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Build it yourself. It's much easier than you would think it was. Make sure you have a second PC available (so you can ask questions here) if anything goes amiss.

Next - be sure you follow the anti-static procedures when building it. Static can destroy PC components (I learned the hard way!). Basically you ensure that the system is unplugged from the wall and that you maintain contact with the metal chassis of the computer case at all times.

After that it's mostly just plug and pray play! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 25 January 2007 - 09:47 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thanks...

Am about to put it together in a little bit. Taking my time here and reading all documentation. No worries about the static, I have the anti-static wriststrap handy. Just need to make a quick trip to the local computer parts store for a couple of fans...idiot me, I forgot to buy them. I was wondering if it was really necessary to have the optional fans put in, but I figure with the SLI configuration, it's better to be safe than sorry...so what if it's a little noisy?
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:05 AM

Fans are a bit dicey - too few and you can easily overheat, too many and you can disturb the airflow enough to overheat. But, if you've got too many you can always shut some off - if you don't have enough, then you'll end up having to get more.

A good fan concept (IMO) is to balance the inflow with the outflow. If you must err, err on a little bit more going in than going out (overpressure) - but not a whole lot.

The ATX specification generally calls for cool air to come in the front bottom of the case and exit through the PSU. But, by the time it exits, it's picked up heat from all the components - so you can improve upon that with a bit of thought.

For example, you can duct cooler outside air directly onto the CPU - this'll benefit the CPU. Then, you can put a blowhole in the top of the case to exhaust the extra airflow that you added for the CPU. This'll balance it a bit - but it's a bit simplistic since you've still gotta consider how the air flows through the case.

Checking the temps of your components is the best way to see this - that way you can see how well your changes cool your system. Tools like SpeedFan can help, but by far the best thing is an infrared temperature sensor that you can point at the components to take their temperature.

After that it's just a matter of experimentation! Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users