Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.peacomm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GCMM

GCMM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hey everybody

My Norton virus software alerted me that I'm not protected against a rapidly spreading threat. Trojan.peacomm was the threat listed.

Could please tell how I could get rid of this problem as my software is tell to renew my subscription. The only problem is I can't renew my subscription because it's too expensive and I can't afford it.

What could I do instead to get rid of the threat.

Please help me as soon as you can.

Thanks
GCMM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Are you actually infected or is Norton just trying to scare you into purchasing their products? Since you are not planning to activate Norton's antivirus or whatever else you had from Norton, I would suggest you review the free programs listed in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

You should have only one antivirus and one firewall active on your computer at one time. Suggest you completely uninstall Norton.
You should also run the online scanner in the link below.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Here is a link to a free antispyware that you should also install and run in safe mode.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

The info below is from Symantec:
The first signs of Trojan.Peacomm were seen in-the-wild on January 17, 2007. The trojan horse arrives as an attachment to an email purporting to contain a video of one of several different recent news stories. The email itself will have no message body, but will have one of the following subject lines:

* “A killer at 11, he's free at 21 and kill again!”
* “U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has kicked German Chancellor Angela Merkel”
* “British Muslims Genocide”
* “Naked teens attack home director.”
* “230 dead as storm batters Europe.”
* “Re: Your text”

The file attachment will be one of the following:

* FullVideo.exe
* Full Story.exe
* Video.exe
* Read More.exe
* FullClip.exe

Edited by buddy215, 22 January 2007 - 01:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 GCMM

GCMM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Hey

I don't think they were trying to trick me into upgrading my the software. I checked the symantec website where I discovered that trojan.peacomm is listed as one of the recently discovered threats from the Internet. They have removal instructions that seem to have done the trick as I've managed to get rid of it.
It didn't mention anything about updating software or anything like that.

Well thanks for your help anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users