Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Letters For Cd-rw, And Dvd-rom Drives Gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 velo555

velo555

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

I got a good one that I'm trying to help my friend with. About a week ago both his optical drives stopped working. Three months ago he loaded everything onto a new hdd because his old one started getting noisy.
Everything worked fine till last week. Before he called me he put a new cd drive in, same result. When I
check device manager it stated "drivers may be missing or corrupt error 39". Uninstalled drivers and drives.
restarted computer, then shut it down. hooked it back up, started computer up. Same problem. Went into
registry editor and cleared upper and lower filters. Same problem. DVD drive is from compusa, no drivers
available, just the manual. CD drive is HP they want $12.00 + for the cd with the drivers. Swapped out to
his old hard drive. The drives worked fine. Tried copying the drivers listed in device manager on old HDD.
that did not work. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Please list system Specs. A couple things to try. Make sure that the drives appear in the BIOS. Check all jumper settings. If they appear fine in BIOS, yet you cant get them to appear in windows. Check your event viewed (Start>control panel>administrator tools> event viewer) and check for errors. If anything else, I would say if they are not recognized in the BIOS, try switching the IDE cables from being Secondary, to Primary. See if that helps you.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 velo555

velo555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

THank you for replying. The jumper settings are correct and the drive do show up during post.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Check event viewer and give any errors from CDrom or asapi

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users