Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

So i've done a little pickin/proddin at tech support for my wife's work....mostly because she works with a buncha old people who can't even run a virus scan...i make 40 bucks here and there not a big venture but occasionally i make a few beer dollars...runnin wires for multiple computers to use the same printer stuff like that...

so this lady downloads a screensaver...her computer's jacked, and she trys to fix it deletes a few things doesn't know what, exactly they are...and now IE freezes the whole computer every time she tries to start it...says it's trying to connect...firefox, however works fine and that's what i've got her runnin on now, the only problem is that there are certain applications that she MUST run through IE....so she kinda needs it...so she doesn't need to keep hookin up her laptop...

she's runnin IE7
XP sp2
broadband connection

i already tried the "remove/reinstall/restart" general fix-all....to no avail....help me...!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

Have you tried system restore choosing a date and time just before she downloaded the screensaver?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

no i have not...it would appear i'm overthinking this WAYYYYY too much...maybe...that makes a hell of a lotta sense....imma try that either today or tomorrow...thanks...i'll let you know how it turns out...

#4 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

alright tried the system restore...apparently there's no restore dates before the screensaver was installed...so i went to the earliest one on the computer...nothing...still get "connecting" and that's it....i need some direction...i have nothing...what about removing the connection and re-adding it?....maybe...i dunno....is there a way i could reinstall windows without removing/backing up and re adding all her work?

#5 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

Have you tried uninstalling IE and then reinstalling it? or maybe try deleting every IE related folder you can find i had a problem with firefox recently and i just deleted everything i could find related to firefox and then reinstalled it and got it going again. Just remember that this will delete all bookmarks and other internet files most likely.

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

#6 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:13 AM

i went into control panel-->add/remove programs-->add/remove windows components

and removed it from there...then i downloaded and reinstalled it from the microsoft website...would a manual removal really be that different? is it possible to just put in the CD's and reinstall without having to backup the hard drive?

#7 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

how about this...when you try to go to the site that she needs IE for you get a message saying that you need to install browser plugins...anyone know why this won't install?...maybe if i could get that to work it would be alright to use firefox...i dunno...shootin in the dark here....

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

Have you tried using the System File Checker?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 xeddiejoex

xeddiejoex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

no i have not...i'll try that sometime next week...thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users