Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Its fixed now but i'd like some info on this if you have any please,

Yesterday morning i had updated a driver for my D-Link Adapter, when i had restarted it had killed my internet. So i did a restore and it was fixed until i got on GunZ, after 10 minutes of playing it shut down...sometimes this happens(no stop screens) so im like ok fine ill just turn it on again..until it reached the user screen...BSOD'ed. I freaked out because i had NEVER had any problems with my computer and ive had it for 6 years, no major viruses, crashes blue screens, until now. So i booted it in safe..did another restore..to about 2 months ago. It completed succesfully so i tryed in normal mode again and i received another BSOD. then i tryed safe mode w. Networking, unsuccessful...blue screened. So i called Dell tech support, they didnt really help but i admire their information, i ended up flashing my BIOS(now when i boot up i get "Value Deleted: BootExecute Hex:7:0:0) and running the tests you do in your BIOS. Everything was fine. so i gave up on tech support and tryed working myself. so finally, the thing i forgot, unplug all hardware, i unplugged my adapter, started the computer and hey guess what it booted PERFECT, so i plugged back in and i got BSOD'ed. as i saw the BSOD i noticed a file called A5AGU.sys. In normal mode i found out it was a D-Link Adapter driver, so i called D-Link, and ended up reinstalling and everything worked perfect. i spent 7 HOURS before i unplugged the hardware -.- . Does anyone know why this file was corrupted? I dont think its the update because i restored it worked fine =| .

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 January 2007 - 12:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

An file could have been corrupted by another program accessing it, by normal degradation of the magnetic charges on the hard drive, or by almost anything else that affects the file system/structure.

The update could have been:
-corrupted on their server
-corrupted while transmitting the download to your system
-corrupted while executing the installation on your system

The usual "fix" is to re-download and try again (after removing all the previous stuff).

The system restore likely restored everything to a time when it wasn't corrupted (so, the corruption occurred sometime between the system restore date and when you first noticed it).

So, keep your eye open on what you're doing for a while (just in case the problem pops up again) - it may help you to determine exactly what caused the corruption.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users