Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Registration Issue - Used Reinstall Disk From Another Computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chuckm51

chuckm51

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

I need to register my XP home edition OS within 5 days. This is sort of an involved issue.

This computer is a Compaq Presario 732us, that my daughter had at college. We gave her a new Dell for Christmas and I got this one in return. It was full of adware, spyware, games, bearshare, etc., and took over 5 minutes to boot up. I d/l'd every free tool I could find to clean it up, without a whole lot of success. I spent a lot of time at the compaq (HP) website, using their tools and talking to their online techs. But it never ran well. Ultimately, I started deleting things from the startup menu and managed to disrupt the OS and the computer wouldn't start at all. SO....

I talked to HP about reinstalling Windows XP...they did not furnish a reinstall disk with the new computer, instead they told me to use the "Quick Restore" disks that came with the computer...which wipe the hard drive and supposedly reinstall windows.

I used the 3 QuickRestore disks...and the computer would never get out of the safe mode, no matter what I did. I talked to HP and they could offer no help, other than buying a new set of QuickRestore disks, for $39. My set was pristine...never been out of their sleeves. So, in frustration...

I hunted through my collection of factory software and found a Windows XP reinstall disk, for my 3 year old Dell desktop. I installed this OS into my Compaq laptop. It worked great! and still works great. The only issue is that the manufacturer "help" icon at the start tab is for Dell instead of Compaq!

Here's my problem: I need to register the OS with Microsoft, within 5 days, and I am afraid they will detect the "dell" version of XP on my "compaq" computer. I do not know if I should use the product key for my compaq or the product key for my Dell when I register. I figure I will only get one shot at doing this right, and do not want to create a new problem by revealing what I did to Microsoft. I of course paid for both versions of XP in the 2 computers, but that may not matter to Microsoft.

So, any help? Should I try to register using the product key from the Compaq? Or should I use the produvt key from the Dell computer where the XP reinstall disk came from?

I hate to spend any more money on computers...and hate to have to buy a new OS for this little Compaq. HP refused to send me a free XP reinstall disk.

What do I do?

My Belarc advisor says I need around 40 windows updates and SP2; I have waited on this until I get the registration issue resolved, and I am not keen to install SP2 - this computer has a small processer 1.3 mbs, a small HD - 20gigs, and small ram - 256 mbs. I am afraid SP2 will slow it down too much.

I came to Bleeping Computer because I managed to get Pesttrap/Spysheriff/Smitfraud on it, along with something called Ultra soft, which I think is a key logger. I deleted the Ultra soft, but I doubt it really is gone. And I have a blue screen of death instead of a wallpaper now, and a lot of popups that Google popup blocker doesn't stop, from Vonage and Netfliks. I hope to solve this elsewhere on this site, with y'alls help.

Thanks.

Chuck in Austin
a/k/a/ ISU softball dad
Go Cyclones!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

Explain the situation to the folks at Microsoft. They may be able to help you since you do own legitimate copies of the software for the system (but may not since it involves OEM licensing). But "nothing ventured, nothing gained"! Keep the license keys on the systems that they're licensed to when talking to Microsoft.

Of greater concern is are the viruses/spyware on the system. This may cause you to do a reinstall - and then you'll have to go through the nut-roll with Microsoft all over again.

I'd suggest a format and reinstall here - maybe the Compaq disks will work this time (if you format the hard drive before running the restore disks). If not, then you can try the other way and then talk with Microsoft (but with a clean system).

Absolute worst case, you'll have to get the $39 disks - but that's a whole lot cheaper than buying XP on your own! (FWIW - most of the Compaq disks that I've ordered were only $12 to $15 - you might check the support site for your model to see if they're cheaper there.

Here's a link to the page for your model: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...p;product=95627
You'll need a serial number to get further in to find out the prices. The CD/DVD sets are located about 1/2 way down the page
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chuckm51

chuckm51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks so much. I tried to activate windows on line. It wouldn't work, and gave me a phone number to call. I called the number, spoke to a nice indian fellow. I explained what I had done, i.e. used reinstall disk from one computer on another computer. He asked a few questions and then gave me a product code to use. I did so and now am activated!!! Success!!

I have also d/l'd all the virus/spyware recommended here...everything is showing up clean now, and the blue screen of death is gone. It seems to be running great, fo now.

I have saved bleeping computer into my favorites, and plan to visit here often. The information is thorough and very useful. What a great discovery.

Thanks again
chuck monroe
austin, tx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users