Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentium D Pc: I Think Its Slow

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:12 AM

Pentium D 2.8Ghz
1,024mb Ram (0.98GB)
256mb intergrated graphics
160GB hardrive (don't know brand (could be seagate) but 7,200rpm)
Windows Media Center Edition SP2

I find my old Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 80GB seagate 7,200rpm, 1,024mb ram, 256 ATI radeon graphics is faster than this new one i have.

He's some time estames:

Boot Up: 135 seconds before its ready to use

Opening Internet Explorer and loading Google: 9 seconds

Opening Bleeping Computer Home Page with Internet speed 512kbps: 9 seconds

Opening Word 2003: 12 seconds

Opening iTunes: 50 seconds

Opening Windows Media Player: 17 seconds

OPening Outlook Express: 6 seconds

Does anybody find that slow for the specs of system?

I have McAfee Total Protection 2007 for antivirus and firefall......

I'll post in a shut down time when i'm back to check on here for a reply.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

My Pentium 4 just took 35 seconds to boot with same programs on it (i haven't wiped it yet) i see a big difference. I thought a Pentium D was supposed to be faster than Pentium 4 with Pentium D being Dual core 2 processors running at 2.8Ghz each.......maybe i'm wrong....

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:21 AM

I've just done a shutdown comparrison between the two PCs...

Pentium D: 32 seconds to shutdown

Pentium 4: 8 seconds to shutdown

there has to be something wrong surely...

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:22 AM

to rule out hardware issues :
Please follow these steps :

• Defrag your system. Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when a file is opened. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on the hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. This speeds up reading and writing to the disk. Read "The Importance of Disk Defragmentation" for instructions.

• Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK. CHKDSK can be run from the Recovery Console, the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.
To run chkdsk from the Win XP GUI see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the command prompt see these instructions.
To run chkdsk from the Recovery Console see these instructions.
The problem with running CHKDSK from Win XP is that it will not check files that are being used by Windows. Using chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

• Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files by running the System File Checker. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

Here is an Intel comparison between the two klick

Retry and post whether there is any improvement

Edited by fozzie, 22 January 2007 - 05:25 AM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:31 AM

Check this Microsoft article which may be relevant to your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

i've done all above, has made only minor improvement, so i say its about as good as it will get....maybe i expect too much......thanks for your help...

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

i think i have more of a problem than i relize.....you know that light on the tower that comes on when it thinks.....well its constantly on and thinking even sitting on the login screen (XP) even logged in with no windows open just showing the desktop.....which could be reason for poor performance.....i have done a CPU usage percent over a few minutes its a bit random for sitting doing nothing (windows all closed showing desktop only)

36% 10% 13% 24% 23% 29% 9% 8% 36% 25% 16% 22% 9% 22% 13% 4% 11% 40% 7% 22% 8% 22% 8% 14% 31% 27% 54% 51% 14& 3% 1% 70% 4% 2% 0% 5%......

is that a bit bizarre?

would there be something there?

HJT log be any help?

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:25 AM

the thinking has just gone off (after 20 minutes of booting).....still not right though...

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:26 AM

take it back the thinking light is back on again i'll time it to see how long it takes to go off...

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

It's just a thought but what else do you use besides McAfee Total Protection 2007? This kind of strange CPU usage could be caused by an infection.

The following are free and worth a try:

Ad-Aware
Spybot
SuperAntiSpyware
AVG AntiSpyware

You could also try an online scan with something like Housecall to double check that nothing slipped in past McAfee.

Edited by Budapest, 23 January 2007 - 04:53 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

i have SpywareBlaster and Spybot, McAfee strongly reccomended to remove Ad-Aware so i took it off......i might try that housecall and see what happenes, could run a mcafee scan in safemode or something else in safe mode and see what happens there?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

I'd give SuperAntiSpyware a go - I like it a lot. And try out an online scan also. I usually run an online scan every two weeks or so. None of these antivirus programs are infallible so it's always a good idea to use some alternatives from time to time.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:17 AM

If you still have IE working give this MS test a go.Further you can do the following :
In normal mode, run an online antivirus check from at least two and preferably three of the following sites
BitDefender
Computer Associates Online Virus Scan
Panda's ActiveScan
Trend Micro Housecall
Windows Live Safety Center Free Online Scan
This scanner from Trend does not require an Active X to run.

1. Detects and removes malware ( viruses, worms, trojans, etc. )
2. Detects and removes grayware and spyware
3. Restores damage caused by malware to your system.
4. Notifies about vulnerabilities in installed programs and connected network services.
5. Multi-platform support for: Windows, Linux, Solaris.
6. Easy-to-use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

HouseCall found nothing.

that panda one come up with an error...
Internal Server Error - Read
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Reference #3.63178ec6.1169554212.141d2d0e
...so couldn't use that one...

BitDefender came up with this...
Page Not Found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
so couldn't use that one....

maybe i might contact the manufacturer as its been like this ever since i'e had it (about 2 weeks) even before connected to internet and before anything was installed....knowing my luck they'll know nothing....maybe they can suggest something....

Edited by Izzy, 23 January 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and go to the Processes tab.
Left click on the CPU column twice (this will force the most active processes to the top of the list)
Then sit back and find out what's causing the higher numbers (the 30% to 50% ones).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users