Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Eavesdropper - How On Earth?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nikym

Nikym

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

A few months ago someone connected to my laptop via the internet and recorded all sound that reached the mic. I was glued to my laptop designing an out-of-town friend's wedding invitation while chatting to her on a normal landline speaker phone for about an hour discussing the layout and other stuff...

Meantime a friend of my b/f had accessed my laptop via the internet and recorded our entire conversation. I know many questions here are from new users, but I've been using pc's since DOS (remember edlin, anyone?) and the net since it was available! Because of the nature of my work, no one else has ever used my laptop plus it has too many passwords, from BIOS to Windows for anyone to "just quickly" start it up and install something, so we can preclude anyone else having physically accessed it to install anything. I only found out about this a few days after it happened and in that time I'd reformatted and reinstalled, so couldn't scan to find out HOW he'd done it

Will fill 2 pages if I go into detail, so just the facts: I heard my conversation with my friend replayed on a cd in wav format. Due to the sound levels of voice, keys and laptop sounds, it was definitely recorded thru the laptop mic.

The guy who hacked me is no longer a friend and wont tell us anything. I investigated all possibilities (other people, normal bugging etc) and am 120% sure they can be disregarded, so that leaves remote eavesdropping.

Relevant info:
- My b/f's friend had my IP because I was testing something and asked him to ping me, so gave him my IP address the day before
- I have a 3G card in my laptop to access the internet, running XP professional SP 2 with all security updates
- my firewall was off at the time (yes, stupid me!).
- I've never told anyone or written my password down so he would not have had my username/password
- Mine is the only user account on the laptop (guest etc disabled)
- McAfee was on with Access Protection, Unwanted Programs, On-Access Scanner all enabled.
- I am fanatical about my laptop privacy - have a BIOS password etc.
And just to repeat myself - nobody else has access to my laptop... :thumbsup:

I've chatted to the IT guys at my office and a couple of other network-knowledgeable people but no one can help. The closest we could get was something like VRS Sound Recorder/pc spy SW being deployed remotely but even with remote deployment, it seems the "target" has to click on a file sent to them - could be disguised as a jpg/txt or anything in order to activate it - is this true or is there SW out there that can access your mic in stealth mode?

My Outlook is set not to show pictures etc and I NEVER click unknown attachments. I use my email 99% for work and in the preceding weeks did not receive any email from anyone even remotely connected to the guy that did this, nor my b/f. If any email from unknown senders makes it through my rules, I don't read it, simply delete it.

I would really appreciate any info you have so I know what to keep an eye out for in future or what other protection to install. Perhaps you could point me to some websites with info?

Many many thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

Regards,
Niky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:59 AM

First of all do thistest.

To rule out any malware issues also take this test.

I see you run McAfee. There are as much opinions as there are safety programs but I simply don't like Mc.Afee. Suggest you do this online scan to rule out any rootkits or other hacking tools. Post back any results

Edited by fozzie, 22 January 2007 - 04:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users