Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer And Taskbar Manager Gone Crazy!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 k4i

k4i

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

hi there, just set up a new comp, installed win xp pro... the installation went on very smoothly... however, once i got into My Computer and click on my hard disks icons... the content of the hard disk did not open up.. instead it reads 'runtime error 5 at 004076D4'... i have to right click on the drives and choose 'open' instead....

moreover, my taskbar manager will only appear for 1 sec and disappear by itself... and i cannot do any copying from my dvd-writer to the desktop or extract any files from a winrar archive...

i tried scanning it with spybot and also adaware... but the problem still exists... and tried to google what is that runtime problem but have no exact answer... thus pls help me to sort this out! thanks! =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

Hello and welcome,

It sounds like file association problems, have you tried going to start run and typing sfc /scannow

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm try this to repair the associations

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi k4i and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,

To fix your Taskbar problem,try Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! from kellys-korner.

Or Line #195 in Troubleshooting Windows XP,Tweaks and Tips from the same author.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 k4i

k4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

i would like to clarify that it's my task manager which have problem... not the taskbar... thanks dude i shall try the solutions....

but how bout i not being able to open up my hard disk just by double clicking in 'my computer'? file assosication problem as well?

thanks in advance

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

Thanx for clarifying that k4i.

This could be many things,even a virus.
Have a look at kellys-korner,Tweaks and Tips and scroll down to Task Manager.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users