Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Extensions On Old Windows 98se Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wagdriver

wagdriver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

Hi, I am new to this board so please excuse foul ups bleeps and blunders. I will try to offer a brief history of my problem.
My system is an old 733PIII HP Pavilion 8760c
One day I could not get my system to boot. The problem appears to be in autoexc.bat file. It runs to the end of file and when it makes the jump to windows it stops leaving me at C:\Windows>\. Any way I decided to upgrade to XP home. I had purchased an 80 gig Wester Digital drive. So I installed the drive and installed the XP soft ware on it, and that is all working well. I left the old drive hooked up as a slave in hopes of eventually copying the file from it to the new drive as necessary or at least have access to them. When I go to My Computer and look at the system the Old drive is there and and the most of the files are there I think. The problem there is about 130 of them which are mostly pictures which I would like to access as well as my documents. They are mostly listed as file fragments with the file ext .chk
I am guessing and I am assuming the when the system was booted that it ran chkdsk on the old drive and and that is how I have what is there now.
I don't want to loose these files if I can help it, and I would like to know how to access them with out damaging them. I am afraid that at this point I know just enough to be dangerous.
Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
wagdriver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but .chk files containing graphics and audio are non-recoverable.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users