Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Problems After Virus Removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Myke

Myke

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hey guys, I managed to remove a few viruses from my computer (with help from the irc room) a few days ago, but I'm still suffering some problems, my computer will no longer shut down, wh I request it it just has the "Windows is shutting down" screen permanently and nothing happens.

Also my computer has gone very slow, I've checked HiJack this, and used (Avast, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, SpyBot and Spyware Doctor) to try and kill anything on it, but it's still running very slow.. I also tried cleaning up my disk (currently 10gig free) and defragmenting my hard drive using O&O Defrag 8.0.

Also, I've ensured using msconfig, the only operations running in the startup tab, is ctfmon (C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe).

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow and press <Enter>. Have your CD ready in case missing or corrupted files need to be replaced.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Yeah I did this, and it spent around 30 minutes doing something, then went off and nothing happened.

Does that mean no files are corrupted?

#4 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

Re: ctfmon.exe, see my post: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1167888467
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#5 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

I stopped the ctfmon from starting up, it's made my startup time faster but problems are still occuring and getting worse.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:17 PM

Myke,

Since you have an active HJT Log here, I strongly suggest you do not make any more changes to your system. Wait until you have been cleared by the HJT Team Member before doing anything else. Making changes while having an open log will negate the log and you will need to start all over.

I will close this topic until you have been cleared by the HJT Team. If you still have problems after being cleared. PM any staff member to have them reopen this topic. Thank You for your understanding.

Regards,
Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users