Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 vs. OpenOffice.Org

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

E-Week recently compared OOo and MS Office 2003. For those interested in the ramifications of switching from Office to OOo, I am including the link to the review:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1571626,00.asp

I use OOo, mostly for basic wordprocessing and spreadsheet analysis, with almost no problems interfacing to MS products; I suspect power users might need to make more adjustments.

Regards to All
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:19 PM

Nice post, John. Thanks.

I found the following especially interesting. OOo could well catch on for its cost savings alone.

Benincasa is looking to upgrade because Microsoft has discontinued distribution of new licenses for Office 2000 and Office 97. Benincasa is exploring his office application suite options because he is concerned about the high cost of an upgrade to Office 2003. He also wants to prevent Microsoft's product release and support road map from dictating FN Manufacturing's upgrade timetable.

"I'm not an anti-Microsoft person, and I think Office is a good product," said Benincasa. "However, we are cautious with our IT budget, and I'd prefer to spend money that directly relates to our business, like investing in things like hardware. Office 97 does everything we want it to do, and we would stay on that suite if we could. It pains me to have to spend money for features and functions most of my end users won't even begin to need."

Several testers said they were impressed with the ability of Writer to save documents as PDF files, a feature they believe would save money as well as time because PDF export for Word requires a Microsoft add-in that must be purchased separately.

The article also mentions OOo's limitations as well as Office 2003's advantages--the comparison works about just about even except for this (from a business perspective): How much are you willing to pay to satisfy a few advanced users when most can get by using free open source?

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:24 AM

That, Papakid, is quite correct. If you check out the OOo site itself, it notes several municipalities and government organisations that are making the move from MS Office to OOo; the cost savings over time appear to outweigh any change-over cost in their assessments.
For those worried about wordprocessing compatibility, OOo allows the user to save a document as PDF file readable by any Adobe Acrobate Reader.
Regards,
John

#4 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:06 AM

I don't like Open Office Org 1.1.1 because the way it operates is different to MS Office (i'm using MS Office XP [2002]). I had OOo before MSOffice XP and when i saved documents in word processing and spreadsheets i couldn't open them in MS Office, just says can't read file.

#5 jgweed

jgweed
  • Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

I have found very few compatibility problems between OOo and MSOffice; as long as I "save as" the appropriate MS file type, I can open a document in Word. Having used MS Office for more years than I would care to mention, I have found OOo similar enought to Word or Excel that I have no problem using it, and in some areas, actually prefer the way it works.
Cheers
John

#6 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

I know it's a free version compared to M$
Student TEacher $270
Professional (Academic) $340
Pro $499
Standard $399
Small BUsiness $440
The Enterprise (5 Disc) $1000

The design of Open office needs to updated terribly (i don't mean copyright MS Office design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users