Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

On occasion I'll get a message that tells me my computer is "low on virtual memory........."
I've read about virtual memory but have not seen anything that help me avoid getting that message. Is this something that just happens or is there a way to avoid it happening.

Thanks again.......have I told you what a great site this is? :thumbsup:

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Have a look at this M$ article; 3 Stubborn PC Problems You Can Fix.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Tks, Tmack.....that leads me to a new question. The initial and max virtual memory is shown as 768 and 1536. My guess is that it's because my hard drive is partitioned. How do I handle it in that situation? The vast majority of my use (and far and away the most important) is off the C drive. Should I just leave it at 768/1536?

Thanks again.

Tom

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I don't know alot alot HD partitioning,so until we hear from another member that does, why don't you leave the setting at 768/1536 and see if the "Low on Virtual Memory" messages stop.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

I can do that. It's not like this is a serious problem. I just close the message and go about my business. I just hope to find a way around it. Thanks again, you folks are REALLY helpful....and I'm always amazed at how quickly the responses come.

I'm going to get more RAM tomorrow so maybe that will fix the problem anyway.

Tom

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

If you're still getting those messages, adding more RAM to your PC will work well for you!

Your welcome and Good Luck!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

Virtual memory is actually a file on your hard drive named pagefile.sys. It's controlled through the Control Panel. Here's how to get there:

Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.
In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

Generally leaving the recommended settings will be the best for the average user. The Low on Virtual Memory message can mean several things. It can mean (obviously) that your pagefile is too small. It can mean that there is a program that requires more memory than your computer is able to supply (RAM + virtual memory). Or, it can mean that there is a program that's malfunctioning and isn't letting go of (or is overusing) the pagefile. In my experience the last one is the most common.

So, does this happen when using any particular program (other than Windows programs)? If so, monitor it to see if it happens when you're not using the program. If this "fixes" it - then you'll have to update/repair the program to stop it from happening again. If it's Windows that does it, then a repair install of the OS may fix it (as may SFC.EXE)

Edited by usasma, 22 January 2007 - 08:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

As usual, very helpful replies. I'm going to buy more ram today and see what happens. I'm sure that will help the whole system and I know that for my main use (sim racing) it will be a benefit.

In response to one statement, I have not noticed that a particular program has generated the message but I'll be be on the lookout now.

Thanks again

Tom

#9 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

hello tom, if i were u, i would download free ram optimiser software by searching in google and the software will fix everything. i have faced the same problem before and i came across various freely available ram optimisor softwares. they worked fine for me. also i suggest uniblue speed up my pc software. that works fantastic in speeding up your computer and also freeing up your unnecessary ram memory. if u r wise enough u can get the software free in some sites. good luck.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

In general, it's been my experience that RAM optimizers are of use only if a program is malfunctioning and refusing to release your RAM for use. So, a more desirable solution is to fix the malfunctioning program rather than adding more stuff into RAM to "fix" it. Windows manages it's memory just fine without the assistance of these tools.

But, this does bring up another thing that you may want to check....

Try closing all open programs when you get this error, and see if this improves your performance/stops the errors. You can do this by using the Processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

i agree with u usasma, but the thing was, there could some important trusted softwares to be installed in the system which may consume much ram. in such cases, we can neither delete the software nor fix the virtual memory alert msgs. what the least possible thing you could do in this situation?? for instance, firefox which is a world reputed secured browser with lot of utilities and addons. but it consumes much memory and has many leakage memory problems. if u r in middle of something, and u need to close down, then u will turn crazy with ur system for the time being. in this cases, if ram optimisers are best. also windows cannot delete some junk files created by the softwares or webpages. these can be deleted with some good softwares like speed up my pc (i felt) or any ram optimisers. this will release the the memory that was stuck due to some software. if closing is the solution for this, then we cannot perform any work further on our pc's. but the major concept you said is absolutely true!

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

When you use a RAM optimizer - it consumes more memory just by being there. So it's a losing proposition from the start.

As for memory leaks - they've been fixed (as far as I can tell) with the latest versions of Firefox. Reputable programs will be fixed ASAP if they have memory issues.

The workaround for the Firefox memory issue was to close Firefox periodically - before you got the virtual memory errors. But virtual memory errors are not solely due to problems with programs hogging memory - they involve many more components inside of the system (the memory hog is just one issue).

You can increase your virtual memory, you can increase your RAM - but if the program is growing uncontrollably the only thing that a RAM optimizer will do is free it up temporarily (and will consume more RAM while doing so). The problem will still exist.

#13 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

thanks usasma, but i observed that, firefox.exe is consuming 107.1 mb memory, now at the right moment and ramsavercp.exe is consuming 4.0 mb. my ram optimsor will free up ram for every 10 min. still my system becomes slow sometimes. dont know why. may be i will try removing the software and check that once again.

regarding the firefox memory leak, i am using the latest 2.0.0.1 which has still memory leaks and i thought this link will give u more info
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

I give up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users