Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Cookies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

I have seen posts on the board that have mentioned deleting unnecessary cookies.

I stumbled upon where all my cookies are stored last week and there were A LOT of them on my computer. I believe that some of the web sites that I visit frequently require cookies in order for them to function properly.

I started to go through the list to see if I might find some to delete, but they seemed so encrypted to me I decided not to take a chance and delete any that I needed.

Could someone please tell me how to find where they are located (forgot how I found them) and how to distinguish which ones to keep and which ones to delete.

If I am not making any sense just let me know and I will try to ask in an other way.

Thank You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edit: Windows XP 2 Home, IE 7

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 21 January 2007 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Here is a nice overview of cookies written by our very own D-Trojanator, located at this link.
And here is a link to help you with cookies management in IE7 click here

Be (Eat the cookies and spend the cache) Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleepin' AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the help Animal !

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

You are very welcome Dennis. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Many anti-spyware applications will candidate the "bad" cookies they find for removal, leaving the "good" cookies alone. It is then a rather easier process to review these, determine whether you trust the originating site, and delete them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

Thanks jgweed.

Are you referring to a program such as Ccleaner ?

Edited by Dennis H, 25 January 2007 - 01:51 AM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

No. It seems to me that it is more efficient and productive to use an anti-spyware application to both scan for bad cookies as well as other malware at the same time. A good A-S, for example Ad-AwareSE, will segregate the cookies it recommends and you can quickly review them.
I am no fan of applications that are used to "clean" your hard drive, since they are very powerful, and without care in both using them and reviewing their output, can do real harm to your applications and operating system.
Regards,
John

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the reply jweed.

This is what I am trying to accomplish. I have read on this site that it is a good idea to clear out unneeded cookies once in a while as they can slow down your computer.

What I do not what to do of course is clean out the ones I need. I started looking at them one day and I could not figure good from useless. I use Ad-Aware everyday to do a security scan but do not know how to use it in order to clear cookies.

Could you please advise me ?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Dennis H, 25 January 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#9 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

Do you mean Ad-ware SE thats what i use and it finds what are called "tracking cookies" and deletes them as long as you have them selected as something you want deleted when your scan finishes.

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Once you have launched the "scan now" process and it finishes, click on the logfile. Open the "critical objects" file; under the "name" column, you will find Tracking Cookies identified. In the "Object" column you will find the originator of the cookie. Unless you trust the orginator, click on each box and have Ad-Aware Quaratine these by clicking on the box at the bottom. You will be prompted for a filename (you can use today's date). Should you make an error, you can easily go to that log (filename) and Restore it.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users