Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Airport Security A Waste Of Tax Dollars?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

Do you think airport security is a bit well over the top? Our borders are left open and we are worried about bombs on a plane? Sure we should worry a little bit but the stuff they have in the airports is crazy.

They want to scan through your clothes soon. They scan your shoes,your bags and everything else.

I have heard some stories from people thats just sad. One guy had duck tape on his blackberry cover to hold it together and they thought it was a bomb! Made him take it apart and then make a call. Took him a extra 20 mins!

Not that security isnt good but the terrorists know of other ways to get bombs to buildings(aka a truck)....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

while there is an unlimited way to kill another human being ( abrahams response after hearing that some people want to kill him) we must try and protect ourselvs aas best we can! and systems of entering the country, by flight, boat, vehival have all ramped up their security. if it takes an extra 20 min to search me before i get on a plane, i dont care becuase i know i dont carry a threat and our fine men and women are doing a great job of protecting our country. surely you must agree we are safer with some sort of airport security rather than none? i mean if i knew there was no security i would think twice about carrying my pocket knife on the plane (becuase i might need to open something or i just forgot in my pocket), but i always doucle chack what i have on me before getting in airport.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Security is a good thing, it just took something really awful for them to institute the security level they have now.
I'm always super early for flights, I've had an experience where I almost missed my plane because some people don't know how to follow the security procedures. What's so hard about taking off your shoes & emptying out your pockets when you're standing in line as opposed to waiting until it's your turn to walk through the metal detector??!! :thumbsup:
So basically, I always get there early, just in case. You never know when your things will have to be searched.
I always have a good laugh when someone is getting searched, and they're screaming about being late for their plane.
You should have gotten there earlier.
It's easier to prepare for the worst case scenario than it is to prepare for the best case scenario, which doesn't exist when you need it to!

Some things I think are ridiculous, like not bringing any liquids onto the plane. But after things that have happened every extra security measure is understandable.

The only thing that gets me PO'd is not being able to bring my lighter. But as of November, you can't smoke at the airport anyway, so everything has a way of working out. :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:24 PM

I don't fly on planes anymore. I go crazy without some fiber arts project to work on, and my tools are mostly not allowed on the plane. One of my classmates had her beading scissors confiscated. Do you know just how small those are? Some people's fingernails are bigger and more dangerous than beading scissors. Additionally, I just don't like to check my luggage, so no more plane trips for me. If I ever get the money to visit friends across the ocean, I'll go by boat. :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

Security is good but have we reached the point where there is to much security? Or at least in one place? Somehow drugs get here from mexico and such. If they can get here so can bombs.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

ecurity is good but have we reached the point where there is to much security? Or at least in one place? Somehow drugs get here from mexico and such. If they can get here so can bombs.

Amen. A dog can smell marijuana better than an electronic device. How could a dog not confuse my laptop with a bomb that Aljba (behind me in line) has?

I do think we have more than enough security at the airport. Especially the damn restriction on liquids. I can't take my personal higene products with me where I go? What if I am going to an area where it will be difficult to find these? Or if I don't know the language? Especially if you are going round trip from America to Europe (which btw is a 24hour trip one way with two stops) and you can't brush your teeth, put on more deodorant (or let a lone buy any while waiting for my next flight). And I might woman can't take about 50% of their purses' contents with them.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

But somebody could mix baking soda and vinegar together and shoot down a plane! Yeah right.

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

I'm all for security - but do agree that things seem a tad 'odd' at times.

Those teeny tiny sewing/beading scissors that Orange Blossom mentioned - I had the same thing happen. The security guard was very polite when saying they weren't allowed and I was very polite when trying to explain the blades themselves were actually less than 1/2" long and unlikely to do any harm. Poof, went my grandmother's 1856 scissors - not because the security guard and I didn't agree, in fact he was very kind and was simply following 'regulations'. (Although he didn't say it, I suspect he was aware that a pencil or pen would cause far more damage and actually felt badly about taking my precious little scissors). Interestingly enough, I was told I could keep my 'Bic' lighter with me in my purse.

Bring on the dogs! Yup, they are great at sniffying things when well trained and I'm actually happy to see them at Airport Security. Between the dogs and the scanners, I feel a bit safer while flying. Inconvenienced, but safer.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

I guess you could say that there is too much security at the airport. Although it doesn't bother me all that much, I understand now how it affects others. Basically I go to Kona (40 min flight tops) for a couple of hours and then I come back home. For me, security is no sweat. I only bring a backpack with snacks and things to do for my niece, and a book for me.

I can't take my personal higene products with me where I go? What if I am going to an area where it will be difficult to find these? Or if I don't know the language? Especially if you are going round trip from America to Europe (which btw is a 24hour trip one way with two stops) and you can't brush your teeth, put on more deodorant (or let a lone buy any while waiting for my next flight). And I might woman can't take about 50% of their purses' contents with them.

That liquid ban is the worst, it's really the only one that truly bothers me. I can't even take my ChapStick with me. What the hell do they think I'm gonna do with it??!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Haven't flown lately but it's my understanding that security is fearful that 'harmless' chemicals can be combined while onflight and poof! But sure understand the frustration of many.

When I think of the astronomical job of trying to safeguard a Country against terrorists, whether in the sky or on the ground, it's mind-boggling. (And I'm not sure truly possible). But I'd sure rather we errored on the side of safety than have another disaster occur - eep!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

Security is a tough issue from pre boarding inspection to unruly passengers in flight. I feel much of the 'silliness' experienced in check in is brought about as much by serious need as by frivilous litigations or fear thereof.
But we know have a new item here at JFK airport NY and it's in several others. It's called ClearŪ Registered Traveler , for about $100 USD/yr. you do a screening process to get faster clearance.
http://flyclear.com/
Registered Traveler Pilot Program Creates Fast Lane for Airport Security
This may be all well and good and a convenience to the regular traveller. But I still have my reservations about it's secutrity value. If the really bad guy wants to go thru the process he will. What's it to him if it's his last flight anyway.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

When I went through airport security last week, I was the one chosen to have the 'full hands-on pat down'. Couldn't figure out if, as our daughter said, I look innocent enough to arouse suspicion as a 'drug mule' or if I simply looked like someone who wouldn't kick up a stink.

If it was the second reason, they were right - I didn't and although a tad embarassing, I didn't mind.

What I did find interesting was the moment we landed and I went outside to wait for my ride, a flock of dedicated smokers from the same flight wandered out ... and were equally divided between those that only brought one pack of 'safety matches' and those that came through with their Bic lighters. How very odd that none of the lighters were confiscated by Security.

#13 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

first of all, is there a terrorist handbook which delineates that a terrorist must travel via plane?
i have a problem with the 'security' when our borders are so wide open.

as for the liquids, i can tell you that, as a chemist, the probability of carrying liquids in great enough volume that are so highly reactive without blowing yourself up on the car ride in is highly unlikely. also, the probability of carrying them discretely into the bathroom (a 3x3 cubicle) and completing the reaction within what, 30 mins. (until people really start complaining) is extremely unlikely. we do not live in a Mission Impossible world.

the terrorists were not armed with only box cutters. or pocketknives. and have you looked in the eyes of some of the TSA Agents? Some have some snap to them, but most....

this is all about control and conditioning. people are now trained to remove their shoes. what next?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users