Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Incompatibility...?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rikinva

Rikinva

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

I am upgrading to a new motherboard, faster processor, etc. The new board is an ECS P4M890T-M2 with Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1GB of DDR2 memory. When I transferred my hard drive over to the new machine, it would not boot up, either in Safe mode or in normal mode. I upgraded the board bios to the most recent version this morning. On a normal boot, now, the Windows XP flash screen appears for maybe 10 seconds -- then the system reboots itself. Safe mode doesn't work, either. There are probably some new drivers I need for this motherboard and for the new video adapter -- maybe even a bios upgrade. That may be my problem -- don't know for sure. But how can I install a bios upgrade, or upgrade any drivers if I can't even boot up the operating system?! Have been reading about reinstalling Win XP and slipstreaming SP2 along with it. Some say this might fix the problem. But I sure cannot afford to do a complete reinstall and lose everything I have.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 21 January 2007 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Take at look at this. - Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
JC

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

I've never put a hard drive into a new system, but I've heard that you must reformat it. I would read the link Joshuacat sent.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Just to make sure the Board and everything works first, try booting up with the system drive disconnected.
It should come up with the warning "SYSTEM DISK FAILURE.." etc or similar. You should still be able to update your BIOS if required.

For future, if you are going to upgrade your MoBo, CPU, and RAM in one hit (like I did), you really need the original Windows XP disk.
You insert the disk, and select Install Windows. Then from the options select "Upgrade (recommended)". It will do some stuff and then reboot - when it reboots, power down and replace your parts. Once you turn it back on, the installation will continue - all you need to do once it's done is all the Windows XP updates.

What it basically does is reinstall windows without touching any of the existing data - all my data satyed intact, and even all the games worked.
If you still have your old parts, it is worth a try - reinstalling all your software is a pain in the a$$!! :thumbsup:

Oh...derrr! Like in the link - that is the one I used, and it worked!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

I learned the hard way about this one, what happens is the OS has recognized the drivers used in the original motherboard and when you install the hdd with another motherboard it will try to recognize the new drivers. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it can corrupt your OS to the point that you will have to reinstall it.

Joshuacat, I've bookmarked that link. I wish I had it last year when I changed motherboards. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rikinva

Rikinva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well, JC... Your advice was what I needed. The link you provided had detailed instructions on how to fix my problem -- including the creation of a slip-streamed XP installation CDROM. I was able to recover from my problem and install XP without losing my other programs and data!

But... I did a very stupid thing. On my previous system, I was running a RAID setup, so I had 2 identical hard drives -- a very good thing, actually. After I got one of them workiing and booting with XP, I installed the second hard drive -- my intention being to re-establish a RAID set on the new PC. Well... dumb ass here, I didn't reconfigure for a RAID set in the setup menu. I ran some of my programs, surfed some on the web, downloaded all the Windows updates, etc. But the PC was confused -- it didn't know which disk to boot, or where to write the data or inststall the Windows updates -- I ended up with critical data crossed between both drives. Win XP would only boot properly with BOTH hard drives in place. Apparently XP was confused, and neither drive by itself would boot properly after that!!

I have spent the day today trying to recover from this stupid mistake. I did not succeed. At the end of the day, I have no alternative but to reinstall Windows XP cleanly -- not saving any of my programs. All of my data is written to a separate partition, so it is okay. But what a lot of worki!

Edited by Rikinva, 22 January 2007 - 07:31 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

I think that it was Budapest that originally posted this link to Microsofts method of changing motherboards: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users