Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2 Pci Card Produces An Error Message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Niki

Niki

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with WinXP SP2 and I keep getting an error message linked to a Trust (13083) 5 port USB 2.0 pci card, which I installed. The message keeps popping up intermittently and whenever I connect USB 2.0 peripherals:

"The USB Composite Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function
at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port."

I have followed Trust's instructions of re-installing, either using native WInXP SP2 drivers or installing Trust drivers both before and after installing the card. Device manager reports the card is working fine, but I keep getting the error message and have never been confident that I am getting USB 2.0 speeds.

The card has a VIA VT6202 chip on it, which somewhere I read caused some problems but they didn't look particularly like the ones I have been experiencing.

At the moment, the card is uninstalled and I have started getting the same error message when I plug in a USB 2.0 device except, this time it adds that I need to install a suitable hi-speed host controller.

Can anyone help? I don't know where to turn.

Thanks,
Nmsconsultoria

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

HERE's an article on it from Microsoft. Follow the instructions, and it should fix your problem.

If this fails, then simply find a site where you can download the usb2.0 drivers from and install them! :thumbsup:

Let us know how this works for you!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

No that didn't work. And the Trust website has drivers for this card even though they recommend initially letting Windows use its own. However, neither have ever worked.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

#4 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hello,

No that didn't work. And the Trust website has drivers for this card even though they recommend initially letting Windows use its own. However, neither have ever worked.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

Does this occur on every USB port on the system - or just on certain one's?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:49 AM

The computer came from Dell with USB1.1 installed. The problem only started occurring when I installed the USB2 card. All four of the external USB2 sockets seem to generate the problem, which shows up as of the first peripheral that is plugged in, regardless of which socket is used.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

I think that Budapest posted the link to a possible solution, but I can't find it now!

The gist of it was - go into Device Manager and select Update Driver for all of the USB devices (right click on each, select Properties, then select the Driver tab).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Niki

Niki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

I'm sure I tried that already and it didn't work. I'll have to come back to that, though, because yesterday I installed the card in another computer and so far I haven't received any similar messages. Fyi: the 1st computer is a Dell Dimension 8200; the 2nd is a Dell Dimension 4300.

However, I need to find a way I can test the speed of a USB 2.0 card, to confirm that it is working at USB 2.0 speeds? Anyone know how I do that?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

This might help, but I'm not 100% sure: http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users