Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directx 10: The Nvidia 8800

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:45 AM

So I'm going overseas soon and when I get back I am planning on building a new computer. I have been waiting a few years so I could learn the ins and outs of computers and their components, and now I am ready to start building my own. I want my new computer to be a real powerhouse. I'm planning on spending around 3500 Australian dollars on it, which I'm sure is enough. My only question relates to the new DriectX and the video card i should get. I realise that right now the nVidia 8800 would be a great card for me to have, but I've heard that right now driver support is fairly bad and that ATI will soon release their new line of DX10 cards. I am planning on using Vista, so what are your thoughts/comments on this issue?
Thanks, Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

For that budget going with anything but a 8800, or equivalent, would be a shame.

As for Vista, neither ATI nor nVIDIA has good drivers out yet. Modern graphics drivers runs at 20 million lines of code and thanks to DirectX 10, WDDM and DRM in Vista they have to be rewritten from scratch. Rumor has it that the Vista drivers won't be up to snuff until next summer, for neither ATI nor nVIDIA.

All that being said driver problems are temporary.

On another note; ATI is supposed to be out with their next generation card in February. It would be worth waiting on it to see which is better, and it might also help price-wise.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the replies there mate. Another thing I was wondering about is 64-bit OS's. Are there different components that only support 32 or 64 bit? I'm clueless when it comes to this... :thumbsup:

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

The only specific hardware requirement for a 64-bit OS is a processor which supports 64-bot operations, which most moder processors do. The catch here is that for a piece of hardware to work it needs a 64-bit drivers, and these there is a shortage of, so you run into a lot of compatibility problems. Many programs also have problems working on 64-bit OS's.

At the moment, until all these compatibility issues are worked out, I'd stay with 32-bit. The advantages of 64-bit Vista is better security and support for 4GB+ RAM.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Here are some early specs on the new DX-10 ATI card codenamed the R600....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

It looks like it will dominate the 8800. :thumbsup:
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#6 xtatik222k

xtatik222k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

Wow, it definitely does. 230 W though!
I was also wondering, is the 8800 going to be the first in the series of directx 10 cards from nVidia, or is it going to be the at the top of the range for the next gen of cards?
Thanks for the link btw, the r600 looks amazing thus far.

Edited by xtatik222k, 23 January 2007 - 09:55 PM.

#7 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

nvidia will release the 8600 and the 8300 sometime this year. they'll both be dx10 compliant, but not as bleeding edge as the 8800. i haven't read of any plans to release anything better than the 8800GTX, but that doesn't mean there won't be anything better. and with the way the industry goes, i'd say you can almost count on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users