Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stem Cell Research And Applications In Medical Field ...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

Stem cell research can lead to magic in the medical field. People, including children, suffering from horrible diseases could perhaps once again be healthy and enjoy a normal life span.

I do realize that some feel strongly about 'when' a life is conceived, but I wonder if I might share the below:

(Quote)
Stem cells can be extracted from very young human embryos -- typically from surplus frozen embryos left over from in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures at fertility clinics. A couple undergoing IVF is faced with four alternatives for their 16 or so surplus embryos:
Have them discarded.
Donate the embryos to another infertile couple in what is sometimes called "embryo adoption.".
Donate the embryos for research
Have the embryos preserved at very low temperatures.

There are very few parents willing to give their embryos to another couple for a variety of emotional reasons. There are very few couples willing to receive them for emotional reasons and because thawed embryos have such a low chance of starting a pregnancy. Preservation can be expensive. So most ask that they be discarded.

There are currently hundreds of thousands of surplus embryos in storage. One source estimated that there were 400,000 stored embryos by mid-2003. (Unquote) Personal note: I realize the number will have changed between now and mid-2003.

(Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/res_stem.htm )

The ones in storage aside, if we consider just the amount discarded each year, using these normally discarded ones to save someone's live must surely be better than having them thrown in the garbage?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

I am all for stem cell research. I like to use our government's own theory here.

In short our government's theory:
"We would rather have the least amount of people die to protect larger causalities."

I'd rather sacrifice an embryo than having millions upon millions die over something than could be prevented.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

I am against it for the same reason I am against abortion.

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

Yes, I know you are against abortion, CGM, but we're not talking of aborted fetuses. Honestly.

Rather, surplus frozen embryos left over from in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures at fertility clinics that parents don't wish to use and would be tossed in the garbage otherwise. Surely this would be okay?

Yano, I agree that stem cell research can literally save millions of lives! I only hope that this research can go forward as the chance to allieviate suffering may finally be within our grasp.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

Yes, I know you are against abortion, CGM, but we're not talking of aborted fetuses. Honestly.

Rather, surplus frozen embryos left over from in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedures at fertility clinics that parents don't wish to use and would be tossed in the garbage otherwise. Surely this would be okay?

Yano, I agree that stem cell research can literally save millions of lives! I only hope that this research can go forward as the chance to allieviate suffering may finally be within our grasp.

Firstly.Thankyou MaraM for selecting a very interesting Topic to discuss. :thumbsup:
I am all for Stem Cell Research,as I feel it will eventually save millions of lives.Our Government,after rejecting it at first,have now given Stem Cell Research the green light.After much debate,heated at times I must say,they have concluded that the Positives far outweigh the Negatives.
Just wondering how many Posts are posted,before once again Religion rears its ugly head. :flowers:
A valid point I'd like to make is that when we eventually have Organ Banks,I think it will reduce the shocking Stolen Body Parts Trade.Children are murdered in their thousands,just so some wealthy person can live a while longer.If you Google this subject,it will make you sick.
Thats one reason I can't wait till this research is a reality.Another thing that makes me sick is poor people in the under developed countries resorting to selling their own Kidney,so somebody can make money out of this market.The point I'm making if body organs were readily available,it would reduce a shocking trade and at the same time save millions of lives.For example,if I lost an ear in an accident,I could have it replaced instead of looking disfigured for the rest of my life.A link to give you some idea what is happening,when we don't have enough organs for transplant.You can grow any organ with Stem Cells,as far as I'm aware.Lets grow them.

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14360930

#6 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:13 AM

From what I have seen on this topic of stem cell research, the embryonic stem cells have a major problem. that problem is uncontrolled growth that starts to form tumors. Stem cells that come from adults or from the placenta and amniotic fluid do not have this problem and have just as much flexability in forming different tissue types.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

I did think that the difference in stem cells between embryonic and adult cells was :

"The primary roles of adult stem cells in the body are to maintain and repair the tissues in which they are found. They are usually thought of as multipotent cells, giving rise to a closely related family of cells within the tissue" .
(Source: http://www.stemcellresearchfoundation.org/....htm#StemCells).

But hopefully in the future scientists will be able to "determine whether the stem cells in adult tissue have the same developmental capability as embryonic stem cells" ... but for right now, I think scientists believe that
"embryonic stem cells have a much greater utility and potential than the adult stem cells, because embryonic stem cells may develop into virtually every type of cell in the human body".

Either way, I do hope that embryonic cell research goes forward, whether from adult and embryonic cells or from placenta and amniotic fluid (I'll be rooting for placenta use). To know so many people suffer greatly with no hope in site when the means to end this is so close at hand - huge gentle sigh.

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Just to clear something up... There is no ban on Embryonic stem cell research in the US, only Federal government funding of embryonic stem cell research.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

That's good to know, ddeerrff - thanks. Sadly though, until the governments themselves start funding this type of research it won't go ahead as quickly as we might hope. I knew some research was going on within the States too, but, if I understand correctly, so often these researchers are buffeded by people protesting on 'moral grounds'?

With the beleaquered medical systems in so many Countries, just being able to use stem cells to 'fix' a person's heart for example, rather than open heart surgery and other procedures that cost of fortune in both money and human suffering - ah, that would be magic indeed. So many diseases could possibly be only a distance memory one day - yipee!

(I know, I know - if we don't die from these diseases, the world will become "overpopulated" - gentle smile - but that's a topic for another thread :thumbsup: ).

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

That's good to know, ddeerrff - thanks. Sadly though, until the governments themselves start funding this type of research it won't go ahead as quickly as we might hope. I knew some research was going on within the States too, but, if I understand correctly, so often these researchers are buffeded by people protesting on 'moral grounds'?

With the beleaquered medical systems in so many Countries, just being able to use stem cells to 'fix' a person's heart for example, rather than open heart surgery and other procedures that cost of fortune in both money and human suffering - ah, that would be magic indeed. So many diseases could possibly be only a distance memory one day - yipee!

(I know, I know - if we don't die from these diseases, the world will become "overpopulated" - gentle smile - but that's a topic for another thread :thumbsup: ).

Now that our Governments have debated the Stem Cell issue with our top StemCell research teams,and also heard from the religious groups,who by the way could not put forward a convincing argument against Stem Cell research,I believe we are entering an exciting era in this new field.And with our Governments funding the research,I honestly believe in time it will save so many people that would otherwise die at an early age.
And as you said MaraM,for example to be able to repair a persons heart would be a Godsend.There are so many people around us with heart trouble,and in a lot of cases their hearts are weak or diseased through no fault of their own.
My sister died aged 11 months in 1950 simply because doctors then could not fix a hole in the heart.Today it is a relatively successful operation.The point I'm making is we should not stop any research which will help save lives in the future.
I cannot see the world being overpopulated in the near future.A lot of countries are educating the population to have smaller families,3 that come to mind are Iran,China and Japan.If people are more healthy,wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they can provide for themselves longer.
Take into account also,natural disasters,diseases like Aids in Africa which has killed millions,Wars and famines,and I think it will be a long time yet before we are over populated.To say if we save more persons lives,then they will live longer, and we will over populate the planet,is a poor argument.IMHO.

The biggest problem I see with useing someone elses heart for example, is our bodies have a tendancy to reject it.If the heart was grown from Stem Cells,rejection would be a thing of the past,and the success rate would be nearer 100%,I would imagine.

Edited by DSTM, 25 January 2007 - 08:29 PM.

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Laughing at myself because when I re-read my earlier posting, realized it sounds like I thought it would cause world over-population - grin! In reality, I feel much the same way you do DSTM and should have said that could possibly be one of the arguments that others may feel valid.

Sorry about not being clear - another duh to me :thumbsup:

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Laughing at myself because when I re-read my earlier posting, realized it sounds like I thought it would cause world over-population - grin! In reality, I feel much the same way you do DSTM and should have said that could possibly be one of the arguments that others may feel valid.

Sorry about not being clear - another duh to me :thumbsup:

No duh to you at all MaraM. If someone brings this over population point up,I have given my opinion in advance. :flowers:

#13 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

Stem cell research. I'm totally in favour of it. As has been pointed out already, it would save millions of lives in the future.

Now, let me just bring up the issue of God before someone uses that as a reason NOT to pursue research; If God exists, he created us and everything around us. He also created the laws by which everything functions. He further, gave us intelligence and curiosity to explore, study and understand his creations.

Stem cell research is not "playing God"; it is learning to how to use God's tools and rules. What matters is the use to which we put our research.

As a general rule, I believe that someone, somewhere will research anything that may have value. No ban will stop research. Therefore, we should pursue ALL research and then monitor and control the results.

Prohibition did not stop people drinking. It merely handed the power to unscupulous people. Same with any sort of ban. It merely gives the advantage to those prepared to take a risk.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#14 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

Stem cell research. I'm totally in favour of it. As has been pointed out already, it would save millions of lives in the future.

Now, let me just bring up the issue of God before someone uses that as a reason NOT to pursue research; If God exists, he created us and everything around us. He also created the laws by which everything functions. He further, gave us intelligence and curiosity to explore, study and understand his creations.

Stem cell research is not "playing God"; it is learning to how to use God's tools and rules. What matters is the use to which we put our research.

As a general rule, I believe that someone, somewhere will research anything that may have value. No ban will stop research. Therefore, we should pursue ALL research and then monitor and control the results.

Prohibition did not stop people drinking. It merely handed the power to unscupulous people. Same with any sort of ban. It merely gives the advantage to those prepared to take a risk.

I am not against stem cell research, except when it uses unborn children (a.k.a. embryonic stem cell research) to get the stem cells. Most of the successes in stem cell research are from stem cells that are from adults. Now it has bee discovered that stem cells can be harvested from amniotic fluid and placentas. Why destroy human life to get the stem cells when it is not needed?

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#15 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

While I do fully agree that it would be lovely if, in the future, all stem cell magic was taken from amniotic fluid and placentas, it won't change the fact that many of the embryonic cells being used right now truly do come from those that would otherwise be disposed of into the garbage?

Most respectfully, I do realize that we all have a different idea of 'when life begins' but the cells destined for the garbage are surely not 'unborn children', simply cells that can save lives rather than being flushed into waste?
(I.E. these cells stand absolutely no chance of developing into children whatsoever).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users