Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

can someone suggest a program that will "kill" your hard drive? as in erasing everything on it?

and i would like to know what is a good program that can partititon ur HD from boot. i realize windows can do that but last time it did, it only partitioned half of my HD and left the other half so that i cant use it what-so-ever.

any program suggestions are appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

You can download a free trial of Wipe Drive , or you can download Active Kill Disk. Either of these will wipe the drive.

Most manufacturers of hdds have software for partitioning the hdd, if you go to the web site of the manufacturer of your hdd you should be able to find this. Or you can tell us what make and model you have and we can look for it for you.

Most BIOS have a limit of 137GB that they will recognize and this could be why you don't see the rest of your hdds space. There are a couple of ways to get around this so that you can use the whole drive, the simplest is to make partitions smaller than the 137GB limit. If you make two partitions and place the OS on one and your files on the other you will have the advantage of being able to reinstall you OS if necessary without effecting you files.

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2007 - 03:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Slayer6571

Slayer6571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

ok thx never thought of the bios :thumbsup:

my hard drive is from Western Digital, when i look up my model (WD3200KS)
i see that the only thing that might partition the hard drive from boot is the Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for DOS

could anyone check?

Edited by Slayer6571, 21 January 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

The W-D tools will work to setup your disk - as long as the BIOS supports the larger size disks.

FWIW - I had a 250 gB drive that I couldn't get above 137 - until I ran the W-D tools and it fixed it right off the bat!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users