Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kingdan

kingdan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

when i turn up my computer, it reads this " Can't find system\drivers\ntfs.sys Missing or broken can't activate Windows, Press 'R' to recover"

Something along those lines. i just switched from fat32 file system to ntfs. please help!! it wont go past the bios screen!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

What happens when you press R to recover? Did anything go wrong with the conversion to NTFS (any error messages, etc)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kingdan

kingdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

When i press R, the system restarts and brings me back to the same load screen all over again. i tried putting the original XP cd into the cd-rom and did setup on the bios screen to boot from Cd-rom. it still dosent work. i was thinking maybe i can copy the system\drivers\ntfs.sys from my friend and burning and loading it on a cd. i think the problem is its missing the driver.. any suggestions????

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hello

Try this...A. The full error you receive on start-up is

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

To resolve this error, you need to use the Recovery Console (RC) to replace the ntfs.sys file by performing the following steps:

1. Insert the XP installation CD-ROM and reboot your machine.
2. When the installation menu appears, press the R key to start an RC session.
3. When prompted, select the installation and enter the Administrator password.
4. At the console, navigate to the system32\drivers folder, assuming your Windows folder is called "windows," by typing

cd \windows\system32\drivers

5. Rename the current ntfs.sys file by typing

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.bad

6. Copy the ntfs.sys file from your installation CD-ROM to your current location by tying

copy <drive letter>:\i386\ntfs.sys .

Be sure you include the period at the end of the command to instruct your system to use the current location.
7. Remove the XP installation CD-ROM, then restart your machine.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 kingdan

kingdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

ok i decided to just reboot my computer with the recovery disk it came with. now problem number 2!!! man so many problems.. anyways, i followed the recovery instructions from the recovery disk. everything completed smoothly, but when my comp restarted it gets locked up on the disk check screen. exactly at 89% with this "Windows replaced bad clusters in file \i386\DPWSOCKX.DL_ of name (null)" please help! i noticed all the other files were like that to with the (null) thing.
Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

This is starting to sound like a hard drive problem. The files in the i386 directory are generally only needed when installing.

Find out the manufacturer of your hard drive and go to their website to download the free diagnostic tools there and run them on your drive. This should tell you if your drive is failing or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users