Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving Chat Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sbrsport

sbrsport

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

I have a basic question. Would chat files, either text or pictures, be somewhere on the hard drive of my computer, and could I find them with the right utility? In other words, in a chat where the screen changes every few seconds, but you do not manually save the screen, does that get automatically cached on the hard drive and can it be recovered.

thanks in advance for any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Which chat application are you referring to, some do yes. Also depends on some applications if "save history" is selected. So some specifics on exactly which chat client/application you are asking about will help us.

Be (Instant Messenger) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 sbrsport

sbrsport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

one of them is called Ichat and the other I am not sure of. I did not set any special paramaters. So, just wondering if there is a program or something I could use to try and search for pieces of the files. Thanks.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

In the Messages section of your ichat preferences, if you turn it on, or if it is on automatically. It saves chat transcripts. It will save them into a folder called iChats in the documents folder in your home directory.

The other one without knowing something about it would just be a guess. And not knowing what app it is would be pretty useless for search parameters. You would at least need to know how the app "stores" the logs and what file type, to do any really worthwhile search as far as I know.

Maybe someone else can shed some light.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users