Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Updates From Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

I could have sworn that I read somewhere on Bleeping Computer that you need to have a version of IE installed on your computer in order to receive updates from Microsoft.

I just read this on their site and now I am confused:

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Can someone clear this up for me.

Thanks You,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 20 January 2007 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

Eventho you choose to use another browser,the updates will be be installed via IE because we cannot remove IE from our OS.

I prefer to choose which update I install,so I don't have the auto updating configured.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

Eventho you choose to use another browser,the updates will be be installed via IE because we cannot remove IE from our OS.

I prefer to choose which update I install,so I don't have the auto updating configured.

Thanks for the reply TMacK. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Even though you may be using another browser you still need to have IE installed whether you are trying to update manually or automatically using the other browser (such as FireFox).

I think where I am also confused is to how you use another browser while IE is still running on your system.

Edited by Dennis H, 20 January 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Even though you may be using another browser you still need to have IE installed whether you are trying to update manually or automatically using the other browser (such as FireFox).

You're absolutely right Dennis H!

Some people have a couple of different browsers installed on their computer,as well as IE.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

You're absolutely right Dennis H!

Some people have a couple of different browsers installed on their computer,as well as IE.

I got it now.

Thanks,

#6 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hi you two,

just a few comments that might be of help.

...updates will be be installed via IE because we cannot remove IE from our OS...I prefer to choose which update I install,so I don't have the auto updating configured.

This is true and not true :thumbsup:

Have a look at WindizUpdate if you are a firefox user and dont want to switch to IE to download updates. Also, alternatively there is this nice little extension for Firefox called IETab, which allows you to run IE within Firefox.

If you wish to not have to visit windows updates regularly, but do not want to let windows install the updates all by itself, have it set this way.

Hope that helps.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

IE the great spawn of the digital satan. is tied in to the desktop and all kinds of goodies. (like nautalus is in FedoraCore6) so I just use it for updating windows since its already there although I have automatic updates setup it is only used for High priority updates so i go back and d/l the optional ones once or twice a week.

Posted Image

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thanx for posting this information Yourhighness,

I just answered Dennis H question without providing any other options as he indicated he was already confused! :thumbsup:

I've used the IETab extension ever since I started using Firefox,but honestly have never used it for Windows updates.

Have the automatic updates feature to prompt me before downloading updates.

Perhaps Dennis H can utilize your great advise...

Edited by TMacK, 21 January 2007 - 07:00 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users