Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jungleman

Jungleman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:25 AM

Hi, I'm not sure if this should be in the security forum as I've had several breaches of my computer, (which I think have been fixed) so let me know if I should change forums....

I wanted to find out why my computer is rebooting spontaneously, generally on initial start up (sometimes 4 times) and sometimes after a couple hours of use.

Also, I wanted to know why I'm getting attacked by remote computers.
I keep getting pop-ups from Zone Alarm alerting me that it has "prevented a remote computer from gaining access to port.....80, 1080, 12345, 1651 and so on.

Is there something in my computer that is flagging other computers?? Is that what is causing the multiple start-ups?
This happens even when I'm not browsing.

I am using Windows 2000, 933MHZ 256 RAM

I had trojan + adaware issues. I have had to use or am using:

Norton 2003
Spybot
Adaware SE
CW Shredder
Spysubtract
TDS-3
SpywareGuard
Zone Alarm (free edition)

please help....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

Well you have several different issues here. We will address the reboots first.

Generally spontaneous reboots is from a hardware problem. The system is trying to protect itself. Usually this is an overheat problem. A few quick simple tests are do you hear your fans running? Pull the side panel off the case and look inside and see if they are running or if they are clogged with dust.

WARNING Do not touch anything inside the case unless you are grounded by useing a grounding wrist strap or are keeping one hand touching a metal part of the case. ESD is the biggest killer of electronics there is.

Other hardware and software issues:
First thing is to check in admin tools/control panel and look in the event viewer to see what entries are there that correspond to that time frame.
Next check device manager for a problem with any of your devices.

When booting up just before the GUI loads do you hear a single beep or other beeps. A single beep is normal. Do you get any screen with a message of an error before windows loads?

Now there are also a number of malwares that play with the system as well.
Since you did say you had problems with this were all your scan tools up-todate with latest definitions? Did you run multiple scans many of these bad boys are hard to get rid of.

Hope this helps some.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:57 PM

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Jungleman

Jungleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

HJT log is in the HJT forum.

The fans are running strong and are now very clean - no issue there.

In the event view finder (which I've never used before ie. unfamiliar) showed a couple error messages:

Error with:

-Service Control Manager
-Winlogon.exe
-Services.exe

I had a problem with winlogon several weeks ago as it was doubled in a wrong file (apparently a Trojan). Now only the proper file is present (so I think).

Is Device manager the same as Task manager? If not, where do I find the Device Manager?

I get one beep normally, once in a while 2. No error message when windows loads.

I've done multiple scans. All up to date. The only one that cannot seem to be fixed is in Spysubtract. It finds an IBIS registry file that can never seem to be deleted. I've tried manually in REGEDIT......wintools and wintools/0000, but I get an error message stating the file, key or value cannot be deleted.

thanks again!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:41 PM

To address the second concern. Port scans are common on the Net. The fact that your firewall is blocking them (and "hiding" your computer from the probe) is a good sign.

"Shields Up" provides online tests for your firewall and your settings with it:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users