Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Can't Complete The Job

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

I have tried running System Restore during a normal logon lession as well as in Safe Mode. System Restore goes through all the motions of apparently running the program; I even restart the computer (Dell Inspiron 6000). After I logon, the desktop pops up with a screen stating "System Restore was incomplete. Your computer was NOT restored..." Please help with solutions to getting System Restore fixed. Thank you.
drymobius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

If System Restore hasnot detected any changes to monitored system files, you will get a "SR could not be completed" message by design. It would help us to know why you are trying to use SR in the first place, and maybe we could suggest another solution.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

If you use Norton 2006 or later.

Error message: Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored.

Many users have found that Norton 2006 and later, has been responsible for this error message. It seems there is a security feature in place that prevents outside programs from making system changes that would change Norton's files. To work around this issue, follow these instructions:

<>Temporarily shut down Norton:

Start Norton
Select Options>> Norton AntiVirus
Select Miscellaneous from the right pane
Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"
Uncheck the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product
Click OK

<>Run System Restore:

Go to Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools>> System Restore.
Select the option: Restore my computer to an earlier time.
Select a restore point to restore back to.
Click OK

The restore operation will now start. Restart Windows when completed.

<>Turn Norton back on:

Start Norton
Select Options>> Norton AntiVirus
Select Miscellaneous from the right pane
Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"
Check the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product
Click OK

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Terror,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not on NAV, but ZA Internet Security Suite 2007. I may start a new topic to ask about using these vs. using the free AVG from Grisoft.
drymobius

#5 drymobius

drymobius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Johanne, thanks for asking. I've been having problems with my wireless laptop communicating with my AP's printer; was able to do this before (new ZA installed). Thought I'd use Sys Restore to get back to a good place. May post another topic re: wireless network.
drymobius

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

Terror,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not on NAV, but ZA Internet Security Suite 2007. I may start a new topic to ask about using these vs. using the free AVG from Grisoft.

Zone Alarm has been known to cause the same error just as Norton. Completely remove Zone Alarm and try System restore again. Make sure you disconnect from the Internet due to no anti-virus or firewall running.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users