Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm 7 Or Ca Internet Security Suite 3

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 wztech

wztech

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hi guys,I wanted some help to choose either ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7 or CA Internet Security Suite 3.Both of them are using Kaspersky engine and signatures from now on so it worth a shot.

But can someone please provide me these information:

1.Ease of Installation and Uninstallation.
2.CPU & Memory Usage
3.Ease of used
4.Effectiveness
5.Number of updates per day.

Thank you in advance........
Don't Laugh .................. It WORKS !!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Also interested as I've been running Zonealarm Internet Security suite for the past year and wondering whether I should re-up or move on. :thumbsup:

#3 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

I run Zone Alarm Security Suite and have for about a year. It seems to do ok but I have noticed my computer has slowed down to a crawl. I don't know if this has been caused by my security software or something else, but I would sure ask some questions about this before I would renew again.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:04 PM

Here is some good info on security suites. Pro and cons.
http://cybercoyote.org/security/suite.shtml
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I have not used either of the programs you mentioned so I can't comment on them.

But.....

Why buy either of them when you can get perfectly good security software for free. Check out Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Well, because there are pros and cons to either. I personally would like it if one program would handle it all for me with as little intervention/monitoring as possible on my part - because I know so little and have so little time - it would be worth $50 bucks or so a year to have that handled. But there are pros and cons to each approach as the previous link points out. Actually, Zonealarm has kept me in pretty good shape for the past year( especially considering I hadn't used any supplemental programs such as spybot, adaware, etc), but there are lots of program alerts and pop-ups that I really didn't know how to respond to. The 7.0 was so suppose to strengthen the Virus blocking and mitigate the alerts, etc. and if it did and ran smoothly I'd definitely consider it.

But, I just went to update and they had the 7.0 update available (I received no notification that it was) and up until this morning the only issue I'd had with the previous version was I had to help it update once in awhile.

So I installed it, and when I tried to update it I couldn't at all now. As my subscription ends in 2 days I'll give it until then to get it worked out.

Wztech, maybe this sheds a little light on the installation issue and at least the previous version ... and I'll keep you posted on the ongoing problem.

Of ZASS 6.5 I'd say the following:

1. ease of installation was quite good, don't know yet about uninstalling.
2. Very low - and that was why I switched from Norton to ZA last year.
3. ease of use was good, but if it was improved it would be very good.
4. It was very effective
5. I had it set for daily updates but I don't yet know what options are up for 7.0

.... and if the claimed improvements were made to 7.0, I'd have to say it'd be great for me.

So, an effective suite with supplemental scanning sounds like a great balance.

BUT, Budapest, that's a valuable 2 cents you've got there. It's just that venturing into a group of freeware, I'd be a bit nervous about leaving something out and having to keep track on more than I have to now - but feel free to a recommmend a comprehensive group of freeware that essentially takes care of itself ... I may be interested soon and maybe wztech would consider it as well. :thumbsup:

Edited by oldloder, 23 January 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

If you use all freeware security software it will be quite a lot more work for you, but in my opinion not only will you save money but you will actually be better protected than using an all-in-one suite.

Comodo Firewall
AVG Anti Virus
AdAware
Spybot
SpywareBlaster
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

For me, that extra work is the rub. But who knows down the road if an infection would eat that maintenance time :flowers: all up.

But I hear you on the extra protection.

I've already started with you last three .. and the AVG is the AV I would have picked and I probably would have done the ZA firewall just 'cuz I was familiar.

That group would take care of e-mail and phishing, spamming, hithering, dithering and zithering too? :thumbsup: It seemed those were the extra things I wasn't sure would be covered.

#9 wztech

wztech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

I really hate pop-ups......
Don't Laugh .................. It WORKS !!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#10 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:19 AM

Me too. It looks like eprompter or Spambayes can deal with e-mail issues, but I'm not sure about the pop-ups, etc.

ZA issue - No repsonse to forum post since earlier today and I just sent off an e-mail request for support and an automatic e-mail response came back and said I should have a response within 2 days at normal volume ... hmmm.

#11 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

I use ZoneAlarm for 2 years! But latest versions need a lot of RAM to work good. My laptop have 512 and i feel 7th version works unstably

#12 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

Were you running the beta?

#13 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

no. full release version. ZoneAlarm 7.0.302.000

#14 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, that's good info.

#15 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Update - Just got a reply back from ZA tech support - uninstalled and reinstalled and updated no problem. As of 1/2 hr there doesn't seem to be any change in load on the system - but I'll check back in.

BTW I'm running 1Gig of RAM here on my desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users