Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-internet Going Network

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hi

This may sound stupid but...

...is it possible to network my laptop to my desktop Ethernet port to Ethernet port using just a cat5e UTP cross-wired lead? I've a feeling this is a resounding "no!" having tried it already. What additional kit do I need? I have a Zoom wireless router/4-port switch, however this only allows me to share an internet connection & not share/transfer files as I had originally intended.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheerz

Edited by fleamour, 20 January 2007 - 05:48 PM.

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

So are you trying to say that you want to network 3 computers via a crosswired lead?
MCP
MSDST

#3 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Desktop to laptop via cross-wired lead.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

Have you configured file sharing within the OS? You don't mention having done that. If not here is a link to get you started.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...filesharing.htm

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

Yes, I expended a great deal of time along with copious amounts of profanity (Grrrr :thumbsup: !!!) configuring file sharing guided by Microsoft's web help pages, no less.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:28 AM

Yes you can do this PC to PC, but in addition to enabling file sharing, you've got to set each PC up so it'll recognize the other one.

Enabling NetBIOS over TCP is usually the easiest way to do this (in the Network Connection properties).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

I have had partial success. My laptop detects the family PC when viewing workgroup computers, however I do not have access. My desktop does not detect my laptop in ''View Workgroup Computers'' but does show my laptop's shared files under ''The Internet'' and not the ''Local Network''. In a nutshell my desktop has access to my laptops files but not the other way round.

Edited by fleamour, 21 January 2007 - 09:49 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

Do you have "mirrored" accounts on each computer? That is, is there an identically named account with an identical password on both computers. If not, don't just change the name of a current account (Windows networking doesn't like that trick) - but create a new account on one of the computers that is already on one of the others (that doesn't have a changed name either).

Often times this little trick will bypass the Workgroup sharing restrictions that normally are caused by the Guest account.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

I will try suggested.

More info:

I can see no LAN icon in either system tray. I have manually set each IP address and enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. One possibility is that my laptop has faux Windows that can't update itself, also I am trying to network XP home with XP Pro, not sure if that would be a problem. There is no hardware conflicts, both computers belong to the same workgroup, I have run Network Setup Wizard on each, I have pinged all computers on my network, they have basic connectivity. Also maybe the bus speed is too fast for network adaptor but that involves changing the CMOS settings which is a bit out of my depth. I have tried reinstalling my network adaptors & respective clients. I have switched off both Zone Alarm & Windows Firewall.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

I really am at a loss?!?

Edited by fleamour, 22 January 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#10 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

Did you set your IP addresses? IE: desktop being 192.168.1.10 and laptop being 192.168.1.11?

Gavin Seabrook

#11 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

Desktop: 192.168.1.100

Laptop: 192.168.1.101

Edited by fleamour, 22 January 2007 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users