Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who Has Used Speedfan?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

I am thinking about downloading SpeedFan, as I have never tested the temperature of my HD.
Dells are known to run a bit on the warm side,so I installed an external case fan several weeks ago,and it's pushing out more air than the other fans combined!
I had to replace the main power supply fan a couple months back,so now I'm taking precautions.

After looking at the screenshots and doing a bit of reading up on SpeedFan,I'm still not sure if I still understand it enough to get the full benefit from it.

Any words of advise about this utility?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

Well I have never used it but have you thought of using Everest this prgram tells information about yor computer, ram, graphics etc it tells you the temperture of cpu hdd and others if they have sensors!! here is a link although it is only a 30 day trial if you pm or add me on msn messenger i will give you more info :thumbsup:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.p...=UE&lang=en

Hope it helped

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:44 PM

I've used it for several years. It's the best utility (IMO) for monitoring your temps via the onboard sensors. As long as you install it as recommended, it should work just fine. It's the sensor calibration and sensitivity that will mess you up - not the program itself.

Also, it includes a handy tool for monitoring the SMART status of your hard drives.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanx usasma,

SpeedFan is installed and I've been playing around with it.

It is a great little utility as it monitors alot of things!
I've already had S.M.A.R.T report generated. Fitness and performance are both 94%.

HD temp is 29C but don't know how to get the the CPU temp. Or is there such a thing?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Yep there is. It al depends if your cpu has a temperture sensor, maybe speedfan dosnt measure it but I have everest and it reads both hdd cpu and other things great utilty

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Often speedfan won't recognize your CPU - but will recognize the sensor that measures it. So, you'll have sensors listed in the temps - what are the listings that SpeedFan provides for you? From that (and maybe a little experimentation) we can probably figger out what sensor is your CPU and which is your mobo.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Speedfan is an excellent utility. It will read many sensors, but older computers and drives it will not pick up.

3939.png

#8 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

The only listing in Temps and Readings is HD0.
So my guess is there is no sensor in the CPU.

This computer is barely over a year old, I would think it would have all the sensors.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

In SpeedFan click on Configure, then click on the Temperatures tab (it should default to this, but it's not working correctly on my VM). This should list all of the temperatures that it's reading. As I recall, you place a check mark in the ones that you want to show.

If you'll post the make and model of your system (or the mobo if it's custom built) we should be able to figger out what sensors are available.

#10 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

Under the Temperatures Tab,it is only reading the HDO temp. I have not configured anything yet,as waiting to see if other sensors show up.

My system is a Dell Dimension 5150 (DM051).In My Computer the name is listed as DBWLCN81.

usasma,when we were troubleshooting the main power supply fan,we had to take the side of the case off and physically listen to each fan to figure out which one was failing.I was only getting a noise at this point.
Only when we put it back together is when we got the error message on the screen that a fan has failed.(guess it didn't like being on it's side!)

So I'm wondering what kind of sensor set up there is in that HD?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

A search of the Dell support site for "dimension 5150 temp sensor" reveals a PDF file that mentions at least 2 temperature sensors for your Dell.

When you first start SpeedFan, does it list the sensors that it has found?

Have you used the Dell Diagnostic tools to see what the temps are according to the Dell programs?

#12 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

This is what it first displays;

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801GB ICH7 SMBUS at $ECE0
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $ECE0...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found ST380013AS (80.0GB)
End of detection

I only ever get a reading for the temp of the HD.

No,I've never used Dells diagnostic tools.
Think that may point us to the other sensor?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

Tmack-- For what it's worth, I have an 18 month old Dell Dimension 3000 that I have checked the temperature with 2 different programs. There is only one sensor reporting and it always reads 93 degrees.
http://www.gtopala.com/
Everest Home Edition

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thats interesting buddy215.
So I'm running about 87-88 degrees F. with the case fan.
Not that big of a difference!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

It looks like Dell may not use standard sensors - and so you'll be stuck with the Dell diagnostics then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users