Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Times

Happy Times

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

I was recently invaded by some nasty trojans, etc and re-installed windows XP professional and now I don't have any sound. I have googled for a "Multimedia Audio Controller" to no avail. Here is my computer info:

Computer System Info - Bought in August 2004

Processor:
ADM Athlon XP 2400+, 1.99 GHz, 224 MB RAM

Memory:
Hard drive: 37.2 GB total
14.3 GB used
22.9 BG free

Disk Drives:
WDCWD400BB-00EA0 (Hard drive)
(standard floppy disk drive)
AOPEN CD-RW CDRW5232 (CD-ROM, 52X)

Operating System:
Windows XP, professional, SP2

Device Manager lists problems in ‘Other Devices’

Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_18041019&REV_50\3&61AAA01&0&8D
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_18421019&REV_01\4&1FEB96E4&0&0008

In the ‘Control Panel,’ when I click on ‘Sounds and Audio Devices Properties’
- in ‘Volume’ it says ‘No Audio Device,’
- ‘Sounds’ is blank
- ‘Audio’ says ‘Modem#0 Line Playback,’ ‘Modem#0 Line Record,’ and ‘no MIDI playback devices.’
- In ‘Voice’ it says ‘Modem#0 Line Playback,’ ‘Modem#0 Line Record.’

In ‘Hardware’ it says I have
- Audio Codecs—working properly
- Legacy Audio Drivers—working properly
- Media Control Devices—working properly
- Legacy Video Capture Devices—working properly
- Video Codecs—working properly

Where do I go to get the drivers for these components?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give me.

Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

you say

Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_18041019&REV_50\3&61AAA01&0&8D

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_18421019&REV_01\4&1FEB96E4&0&0008

What make and model of sound device are you using? is it onboard?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

DEV_3059 is a VIA AC97 sound chipset.
Try this driver: http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/...oCode_v600a.zip
Posted Image

#4 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

nigglesnush85, thank you for your reply. I am not sure what make of sound device I have. Is it onboard? Good question? I don't know exactaly what that means, you will have to be more specific. Do you mean is it inside the case? If so:

I opened my case and there is a black sticker in there that says VIA with VT 8235 under that.

arcman, I think you are on the right track given that I have a VIA sticker inside my case. I downloaded your suggested driver and unzipped the file, but when I click on the setup file, nothing happens, I even right clicked and selected open and also run, still nothing. From the file names, it looks like this file is for earlier versions of windows (95, 98, NT).

I hope this gives you more information than my previous post and thank you so much for trying to help me with this problem.

Linda

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

If you click the System tools directory, then System information, then Components/Sound device, you will find out what kind of onboard sound you have. It's pretty certain the one arcman suggests, otherwise a common onboard sound device is the soundmax. But is you go into the device manager, via the Control panel, and click the sound , video and game controller icon, you can then right click the sound device, which probably has a yellow query on it at this stage. Select update driver and allow it, in the shrt questionnaire, to search on the web. It will automatically install and, if you are lucky, you will hear the sound even on exit for the required reboot.

Edited by uhaligani, 21 January 2007 - 01:44 AM.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Alright, this should be the correct one, it lists your Via chipset.
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vinyl_audiocodec_v680b.zip
Posted Image

#7 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

arcman, you are the BEST!! A life saver for sure. The second file worked and I now have sound. I am going to burn that file to a disk so I will have it if I should ever have to re-install windows again. Thank you so much for helping me with this problem.

In the device manager, my Video controller still has a yellow question mark. Should I just leave it or should I continue to search for a fix for it? I am not sure what it does, so I don't know if I really need it. If it is for video games, that is not really needed. If is is for watching video clips, then I supposed I would need it eventually.

Thanks again everyone who replied to try to help me, and arcman you get the gold star for today!

Linda

#8 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Well, apparently I need that video controller. I have continued to install my programs, and now I have 3 disks that won't install. They start, I get an hour glass and then it just disappears and nothing happens.

I tried searching for the video driver as uhaligani suggested, but it says it was unable to find a driver.

I guess I am back to square one.

Linda

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

Okay, I think that's integrated via/s3 video, it's hard to tell for certain without knowing the exact make and model of the motherboard. This looks like it would be the right driver, though.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...mp;SubCatID=102
Posted Image

#10 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

arcman, I just now see your next suggestion, but I am at work now, so I will try this as soon as I get home this afternoon and I will let you know if it works.

Thanks,
Linda

#11 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

I downloaded your latest link and tried to install it, but it hung up and stopped responding. I decided to go into the case for more information (this time I wasn't on the phone with my son). I found some more labeled chips (I guess they really aren't stickers). Here is what I found.

a smaller VIA chip:
VT 6103
0410CD Taiwan
2HF0443926

Another one:
ITE
IT8705F
0403-FXS
HG4NH1

Another one:
ICS
US8000403
980910AF

And:
Phoenix BIOS
D688 BIOS
@ Phoenix 1998

The VIA chip is real close to the back side of the board where the plug-ins are on the other side of the case. The other chips were on the other end of the motherboard kind of between the CD-ROM drive and the floppy disk drive.

I hope this additional information will be useful.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Linda

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

If the installer doesn't work you can try going into device manager for the unknown video device and install the drivers manually by going to its properties, clicking update driver and pointing the file browser toward the driver files you downloaded.

Otherwise try and look up the make and model of the motherboard which should be printed on the board itself, then we should be able to find a download link for the proper drivers.
Posted Image

#13 Happy Times

Happy Times
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

Arcman, once again, you have saved the day!! Even though the installation seemed to have hung up, it apparently it found what it needed, because when I went into the device manager, my yellow question marks are gone. Now under Display Adapters, I have listed Via/S3G Unichrome IGP. When I check properties for it, it says the device is working properly.

I was able to install 2 of the 3 programs that I couldn't previously install. The last one is a freebie Photoshop Elements disk that came with a scanner I recently purchased. I had previously installed it on this computer before I had to re-install Windows. I hadn't ever used it and I kind of investigating whether I should invest in a better photo editor software or not. I guess I will just think on it a little longer.

Anyway, THANKS AGAIN!! I wish I could say something more than thanks. Your help has been invaluable and thank you for hanging in there with all the little issues that came up. I guess we can close this thread.

#14 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

Glad it worked out!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users