Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

i'm thinking of installing lan in my house, but don't know which one to choose, wireless or cable...
i'm quite familiar with the cable system but not as much with the wireless thingy... does having a wireless network slow down file transfer between computers ? can you share printers with wireless LAN ?

i was about thinking of installing the cable one, but then i think again, i've got one computer upstairs, and that would mean the cables has to go up the stairs, round the corner, to my pc upstairs (just trying to say that it would need a very long cable)

as for wireless, i'm just wondering whether the signal can go 1 floor up through the 20 cm thick concrete :thumbsup:

also, any recommendations on a good router ?

PS: setting up for about 5 to 6 computers only... :flowers:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hello,

I would go for the wireless option, it should be ok going to the one upstairs, if the signal is strong enough(there might be a slight drop in speed though). Belkin http://world.belkin.com/ is quite good with network equipment, have a look on their website and see what would meet your needs best.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

The NetGear WGR614 router at my wife's office goes through 2 or 3 concrete block walls without any difficulties.

That being said, I believe that wired is more reliable than wireless (and more secure) - but is much more difficult to install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

is wireless really worth the extra cost ?

wireless LAN does cost extra doesn't it ?
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Other than a router. wireless card and some possible cable no. The service is to the modem (One charge),then off to the router and hard wired PC ,then wireless....

In my house there 1 hard wired .. 2 wireless and sometimes the laptop too. One fee for the cable broadband.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users