Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

My system is not cutting edge but works fine for my purposes and rarely gives me problems. Currently I have 512mb of ram and would like to max out to whatever my system will physically hold. It's got a P4 1.6g processor, Radeon X700 video card and a Viarama PE11 SA motherboard. I hope someone is familiar with the motherboard and can tell me how much memory I can stick in this thing.

Thanks,

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have found this link. It appears your system\motherboard can support 3Gbs of RAM.
In my opinion I believe your money would be better spent on an additional 512MB and other components. I do not believe you will get the full use of more than 1 GB of memory. IMO.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hello,

I believe that it can handle 3gbs
Regards,

Alan.

#4 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

Good grief, you folks are something else! Fifteen minutes and I've got answers. Everyone who has a computer should use this site.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tom

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

We are glad to help. Welcome to BleepingComputer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

I purchased an additional 512mb of memory (Super Talent D21PB12A) and on the stick it says:
512mb DDR-266 PC2100 which agrees with what was shown on the link. Unfortunately, some of my applications won't run. When I started Internet Explorer and a sim racing game called rFactor I got a message that says, IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, etc. Same message with rFactor. The "Error Signature" with rFactor says, App Name - rFactor, App Version 1.1.5.0, Mod Name d3dx9_30.dll, Mod ver: 9.12.589.0 offset 0010c258. (If that's of any help)

I took the new stick out and everything is fine. Is there a sequence that the sticks should be in or do they have to be of the same size, or what? The other two sticks are 256mb each.

Thanks once again.

Tom

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hello,

That certainly sounds like broken RAM, download this tool,http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and run it, under the spd tab and memory tab, what does it say that it has you are looking for the PC**** number, there is the possibility that the Ram you have in the case or the new stuff is not compatible.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

Recently we've had a problem at work with laptop RAM. I don't know if this extends to desktop RAM or not. There seems to be some compatibility issues between brands of RAM.

This will be evidenced by problems when both sticks are used together - but no problems when either is used alone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

Yep, if one stick is more powerfull than the other, it slows itself down to match the inferior one causing some problems, its best to make sure that both sticks come from the same PC number.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users