Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ups Service "stopped"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hi.

I have been experienceing many problems, mainly with extremly slow somputer, several BSOD,s per day, programs not responding, and my cpu is constantly loud.

I am constantly told that my CPU temp is too hot, as according to several programs, it's running at 80 odd degrees, but the tower itself does feel hot and I have taken the tower apart and cleaned all parts including fans.

In Display Properties / Power Options, it would seem that my UPS sevice is currently "Stopped" American Power Conversion V 1.0 www.apcc.com and message was:

"For informations on enhancing the management of the APC and upgrade, log onto www.apcc.com'"

I logged onto the website but nothing made sense to me, so best I leave well alone until guided step by step!!

The CPU temp listed below 81 degrees can't be right as the tower does not feel that hot, but the fan is, as always way too loud. The cooling fan is running at 4591 RPM. I have no idea what the correct speed should be.

The below log is generated by Everest: Detals of : Motherboard/Motherboard and Motherboard/Bios

Logs:

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737/SCH5017 (SMBus 2Eh)
Motherboard Name Intel D101GGC

Temperatures
Motherboard 45 C (113 F)
CPU 81 C (178 F)
Aux 45 C (113 F)

Seagate ST340014A
[ TRIAL VERSION ]

Cooling Fans
CPU 4591 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.32 V
+3.3 V 3.39 V
+5 V 5.16 V
+12 V [ TRIAL VERSION ]
VTR 3.35 V

EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2006 2003-2007 Lavalys, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v3.50.865 Beta
Benchmark Module 2.1.169.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Computer NATASHA
Generator Tash
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-01-19
Time 16:39

Motherboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 11/08/2005-RC410-SB450-PTRC-GC-00
Motherboard Name Intel Grand County D101GGC

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 LGA775
Expansion Slots [ TRIAL VERSION ]
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset RC410
Extra Features [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/index.htm
BIOS Download http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm

I would really appreciate any/all help, advice, thoughts, tips or tricks !!

System: Mic Win XP Prof V.2002 SP2
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
704MB of RAM
Connection" ADSL Router
Network Adaptor: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet

Local Disk:
Total Capacity - 37.26GB
Used: 10.33 GB.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

When you said you cleaned the case, did you also make sure the heatsink to the processor was clean and free of lent and dirt?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hello, to turn on the UPS go to start run and type services.msc scroll down and look for uninterruptable power supply. just click start if your hardware supports it.

What are the BSODs actually saying? I think the motherboard actually alters the fans speed depending on the system load
Regards,

Alan.

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for that. I started the UPS but it says not configurated properly

How do i configure it correctly?

(Please note, need very basic and simple instructions!)

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hello,
if you go to the control panel, and select power options, click on the ups tab. select the model of your ups. does it now give you the option to configure it?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

Is this another issue - or a continuation of the previous issues? Specifically, from this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=76910&hl=
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

No, well, I think it's connected, but the UPS is now started, but the fan seems louder than ever.

I treied to do the Seagate thing but wasn't sure of what / how I was supposed to do.

I don't seem to ba making any headway here,despite all the great help and advice I have been given.

I'm thinknig of the 10lb sledge hammer I have in the garage...!!!

:flowers:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

The sledge hammer is a sure fix for the problem - but a bit drastic at this point.

Let's try and keep all the posts in one topic, since this will help others to get a feel for what's going on with your system "in-toto"

Also, please give feedback about things that you've tried that we haven't recommended. And let us know if something we've suggested hasn't worked (like the Seagate thingie).

As for the Seagate thingie, if it's downloaded to your computer, just double click on it to start the installation. Just follow the prompts to get it installed. Then, access the Help menu, or the readme file for instructions on how to use it. There will also be directions on how to use it on the Seagate website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hi there

Well, up until today I have followed all instructions. Then yesterday my system said I was down to 1% free space so I downloaded powerdegragmentor and contig.

No change, so today I took it upon myself to move some files from C drive to D drive. These were mainly software downlaods, mainly antispyware antivirus etc. Big mistake! Now I cannot access SpywareGuard and on startup I get an error message with a receomendation to do a live update, but can't even do that. All shortcuts etc are now void.

I have run system restore, but it tells me that it's unable to restore to an earlier date.

So I went into Everest Ultimate and had a look at what's going on. I am getting alot of [Trial Versions] for stuff that is definatley not. (eg, like the Seagate thing, as I have had it since installation in 2005)

I have generated some reports from Everest and posting them here. Is there a way that I can restore my system another way therefore undoing the moves from C drive to D drive.??

I have made such a mess - can it be repaired?? Until I hear back from you, I am not going to touch my system again.

[/u]Memory

Physical Memory:
Total [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Used [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Free 401 MB
Utilization [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Swap Space:
Total 1717 MB
Used 419 MB
Free 1297 MB
Utilization 24 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 2419 MB
Used 720 MB
Free 1699 MB
Utilization 30 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
Supported by Operating System Yes
Supported by CPU Yes
Active Yes
Summary

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2007-01-22 / 18:18

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 326, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel Grand County D101GGC (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award (11/08/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
D: (NTFS) 28152 MB (25903 MB free)
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Network:
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-13-20-C7-FF-85
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (10.0 [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Modem Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Award BIOS for Intel
DMI BIOS Version GC11010N.86A.0303.2005.1108.2057
DMI System Manufacturer
DMI System Product
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI System UUID [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Intel Corporation
DMI Motherboard Product D101GGC
DMI Motherboard Version AAD35788-304
DMI Motherboard Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Manufacturer
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DMI Chassis Asset Tag [ TRIAL VERSION ]

DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 0

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 2% on drive C:.

[u]Operating System

Operating System Properties:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Code Name Whistler
OS Language English (United States)
OS Kernel Type Uniprocessor Free (32-bit)
OS Version 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
OS Installation Date 2005/12/09
OS Root C:\WINDOWS

License Information:

Licensed Processors 2
Product ID 55274-642-0645805-23731
Product Key YVGKQ- [ TRIAL VERSION ]

#10 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hello,
if you go to the control panel, and select power options, click on the ups tab. select the model of your ups. does it now give you the option to configure it?

I was able to configure it, but it hasn't helped. Now the fan continues once all running processes are closed. I'm thinking that there might be hidden ones that run without showing.?

Latest info from Everest Ultimate is :

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737/SCH5017 (SMBus 2Eh)
Motherboard Name Intel D101GGC

Temperatures:
Motherboard 45 C (113 F)
CPU 81 C (178 F)
Aux 45 C (113 F)
Seagate ST340014A [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4651 RPM

This info must be false as the tower does not feel that hot.

If you happen to feel that you can help, there is plenty more info that I have posted in WIN XP Home.

If not, thanks for your help anyway.
:thumbsup:

#11 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

The sledge hammer is a sure fix for the problem - but a bit drastic at this point.

Let's try and keep all the posts in one topic, since this will help others to get a feel for what's going on with your system "in-toto"

Also, please give feedback about things that you've tried that we haven't recommended. And let us know if something we've suggested hasn't worked (like the Seagate thingie).

As for the Seagate thingie, if it's downloaded to your computer, just double click on it to start the installation. Just follow the prompts to get it installed. Then, access the Help menu, or the readme file for instructions on how to use it. There will also be directions on how to use it on the Seagate website.

Hi Usasma (or should I address you as John ??)

Sorry for not keeping everything under the same topic. Is there a way that the posts can be moved to the original topic?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

You can call me anything that you like - as long as you don't call me late for dinner! :thumbsup: (an old joke)

Let's just keep everything here from now on. If needed we can insert a link to the other topics.

Sorry if I'm a bit abrupt here - but stop messing with your system!!!!

No change, so today I took it upon myself to move some files from C drive to D drive. These were mainly software downlaods, mainly antispyware antivirus etc. Big mistake! Now I cannot access SpywareGuard and on startup I get an error message with a receomendation to do a live update, but can't even do that. All shortcuts etc are now void.

Quite frankly, you're your own worst enemy here! :flowers:

DO NOT MOVE OR DELETE ANYTHING!!! If it needs deleting or moving, check here first. Then, just to be sure, never just delete anything - send it to the Recycle Bin so you can restore it if needed. If you move anything, make a note of where you've moved it from - so you can move it back if needed.

81C is very hot for your processor - that's the first thing to fix. And, until that's fixed, it's likely that your system will be throwing other errors at you.

The quickest way to lower this temp would be to 1) use compressed air to clean the CPU cooler and 2) put a large fan near the case to blow cooler room air into it (with the side open). While you're in there, check to see that the fan over the CPU is actually working. Then, let us know what the temps are after you've done that.

#13 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi there.

You can call me anything that you like - as long as you don't call me late for dinner! smile.gif (an old joke)

Care to fill me in...!!????

I know I'm my worst enemy - but also stubborn and dogged in making things right!!!

Ok, so here is some info on my CPU.

I turned my computer on at 22.30 and according to Everest, the CPU temp was 81 deg. Fan speed - 4584 RPM

At 23.00 82 deg, - Fan 4655

At 23.20 86 - Fan 4667

At 23.23, I placed a fan facing the CPU.

23.40 - 45 deg. Fan - 4655

Fan of at 00.13 - 47 - 4659

I have already opened up the case and given it all a good dusting and all frans seems to be working. I did this about 2 weeks ago, but with no positive effect.

The problem, as I see it, is that the temp readings must be false, otherwise, why would the temp be at 81 deg on startup?? My frustration is that despite me saying this a number of times, I am continually told that the temp is too high and i must do pretty much what you have said. Also the tower itself is not really hot - no where near 81 deg or higher. As I mentioned before, the fan running so high and loud would cease when all applications were closed. Now, however, it continues non stop until I shut down the system. Even putting it into Standby mode doesn't help. Well, actually it does for about 10 mins, and then it starts up again.

It is now 00.35 and the temp is the same as at 00.13.

So, with the above in mind, any other ideas??

BUT, there is some postive info (well, at least i think so !!) I now have 2.79GB and 28% free space, AND (this is just soooo exciting..!!) the last BSOD was at 19.00 on 24th Jan and related to the Ntfs.sys. and the system seems to be running a little faster - perhaps at the rate of the tortoise after having a high fibre munch!

And, I have refrained myself (and believe me, it was very hard) from tinkering around on the computer!!

Ok, so that's the latest . Look forward to hearing from you and your wicked sense of humour!!!
:thumbsup:

#14 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

P.S No-one seems to be able to respond to why Everestl reports to [Trial Versions] . See my post from 22 Jan :

E.g :-

Physical Memory:
Total [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Used [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Free 401 MB
Utilization [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
D: (NTFS) 28152 MB (25903 MB free)
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Thanks !

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Don't worry overmuch about the fiddling - that's how I learned about PC's. An Army contractor came into our office every morning and patiently explained how I had screwed up the computer the night before.

But, to isolate your problem we'll first need to "control the environment" - which means no fiddling! This is a difficult enough problem to solve without adding anything else into the mix. While it may not seem it, the results of each step are generally what points us to the next step.

From what you've said, the fan reduces the heat by almost 40 C - that's a lot!. Here's a couple of things to check:
1) check the direction that the fan on the CPU is blowing. It should be blowing towards the CPU on the mobo.
2) without the fan (and with the temp high) - carefully, VERY CAREFULLY, approach (but DO NOT TOUCH) the cooler with a fingertip. does it feel hot enough to burn? If so, then it's likely 80 C
3) Then compare this feeling with the feeling after the exterior fan lowers the temp. What's the difference feel like to you?
4) Feel around (without touching) to see if there's anything else that's hot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users