Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three Beeps (not On Startup)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 coll

coll

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

hi

bought laptop (compaq presario R3000) off ebay bout 6 months ago, computer is now, allegedly, 18months old. works well, no problems except:

every now and then, computer makes three short beeps. this is when it is already powered up, logged on, working fine. it doesnt stop me doing anything, and can seemingly happen at any time. it doesnt happen often (certainly not every time its on) and has prob happened 20 times or so since ive had it (and its powered on A LOT!). come to think of it, it MAY only happen when im online, but as im online most of the time, i cant remember it happening when im not.

i wouldnt worry but i use the laptop to record audio and dont want it ruining any takes at some point in the future (it hasnt so far....touch wood). ive read that motherboards sometimes beep three times to indicate memory (RAM) problems, with the seating, or just bad RAM - but everything ive read says these beeps happen on startup. my startup is fine. i know the previous user did put extra 256mb RAM in, to make total 778mb.

anyone help?
thanks
coll

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Here is a list of BIOS beep & POST codes. It will give you several different BIOS codes to choose from depending on the type of BIOS you have.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

thanks acklan, but thats a dead link.

so it IS my bios making these noises?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

Here's a couple of other links for you to try:
computerhope.com
sysopt.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hmm.. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

Although TG has it handles try this link.
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
Those other guys need t pay their bill.

#7 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

ok, i thought first id find out what typ of bios i have, so went here http://www.unicore.com/biosagent/ and downloaded biosagent.

biosagent told me i have a phoenix bios.

all these websites say that phoenix bios does 4 'sets' of beeps. im only hearing 3 beeps, then...nothing. so im looking for a 1-1-1, but that isnt a listed phoenix bios beep code.

help??!! confused...

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:05 AM

I would believe you have a RAM or video card memory problem. Try running Memtest86 Stand alone memory test. This will confirm or rule out the memory.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

It's not only the BIOS that makes warning beeps. Laptops tend to use warning beeps when the battery is nearly exhausted. Maybe your battery is about to die on you.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

thanks for the replies.

acklan - i ran memtest, it got to its 4th pass without finding any errors, so i stopped it (cos it had taken 2.5 hours and i needed to actually use my computer!). so im assuming my RAM is ok? another issue could be that i changed the video memory (which uses a user-definable amount of RAM) in the bios to its lowest amount almost as soon as i got the laptop, because i wasnt interested in my video being terribly fast, as i use the machine for audio processing. i changed it from 128mb to 32mb, so my available RAM for processes was 736mb rather than 640mb. could this be what's making it beep perhaps?

budapest - the battery does lose charge quickly (only get just over an hours worth out of it from full charge), but this hasnt seem to have got any worse over the past 6 months since ive had the laptop, and the beeping has happened almost since i received the laptop - so i would have thought the battery would have gone by now? also, it definitely beeps when running off mains power as well.

i have got another battery that came with it that ive never even tried. just thought i'd save it as a backup. i will swap them and see if the charge lasts any longer and if the beeping stops.

thanks for suggestions folks. anyone got anymore more?
many thanks
collen

#11 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

can anyone help??

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Did the suggested fixes do anything? What was the result of changing the battery?

You may want to take it to a shop to let a technician listen to it - then you can discuss if you want them to repair it or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

the memtest fix did not work. laptop just beeped again, has been on for hours, not doing anything unusual, and doesnt stop me doing anything i want to.

i havent been able to change the battery yet, its at another location that im going to soon, so will try it.

i couldnt take it to a shop to let them hear it, as the computer can be on for hours/days before it does beep. it is seemingly completely random! there is nothing i can do to reproduce it.

very confused.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

Memtest86 isn't really a fix. It's just a test that will test your memory to see if it's faulty. What happened when you ran it? Did you receive any error reports? You should let it run for a long time, overnight is good.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 coll

coll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

ok i will run the memtest overnight. does anyone know if it actually finishes, or does it just do infinite amounts of 'passes'? i think it got to 3 or 4 passes last time with no errors, so i figured it was ok.

thanks again budapest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users