Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiboot Ms Windows 2000, Xp, And Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

Okay, I've been tinkering with livecd versions of Linux (puppy and freeBSD) for a while now, and I wanted to install Ubuntu 6.10 on a spare logical drive on my hard drive.

Currently, I dual boot with Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows XP Pro SP2. What I'd like to do is to install Ubuntu on the last logical drive on the disk. There are currently 4 logical drives on my single drive. The first has Windows 2000 installed on it. The second has Windows XP. The third, and by far the largest, has videos, pictures, music, and most program files. The fourth is largely unused, and is where I want to install Ubuntu.

How can I install Ubuntu while maintaining the current Windows installations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

The installer should ask you where you want to install, and the boot loader should install itself where it is supposed to. I guess I should ask, have you ever installed linux before? It should be nothing more than selecting the drive on which to install it, format it, and that's it. As long as you don't accidentally install it to the wrong drive, you shouldn't have a problem. You should find the installation instruction online and have them printed up though. With anything else, you should have any important documents backed up, just in case.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

Never installed Linux before. I'm just nervous because I finally got Windows the way I like it, and I don't want to muss it up.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

I take that back. Windows is really screwing up today.

I'm thinking about backing up my data, wiping the drive and starting afresh with Windows XP and Ubuntu (no Windows 2000).

Which should be installed first?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Windows needs to be installed first. Ok, that is not exactly true, Windows really, really, really prefers that it be installed first, otherwise you run into a configuration nightmare that will quickly sour you on linux.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

Windows: The spoiled brat of Operating SystemsŪ

#7 OylE

OylE

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

Windows rocks. Best system out there. Everyone uses it. Support is there when you need it. Linux is ok, but you're on your own.

I MIGHT be biased. But I've seen MS from the inside out. It's a thing of beauty.

Undertaker vs. Batista....? Tough call. Wha't going to happen?

#8 RangerRick

RangerRick

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me in removing my no longer used dual boot choice at startup, Win XP Home/Win XP Pro, from my system. The Win XP Pro never worked right and is not really needed. Thanks Rick
There are no stupid questions, only stupid results from unasked questions.

#9 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me in removing my no longer used dual boot choice at startup, Win XP Home/Win XP Pro, from my system. The Win XP Pro never worked right and is not really needed. Thanks Rick

kind of bad practice to hijack a thread like that, but it's a relatively simple question that can be answered in one post.
Right click my computer > properties > advanced tab > startup and recover > uncheck box that says "display operating systems.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users