Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Binoy

Binoy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

I have 2 hard drives:

C: XP Pro SP2 32 bit
D: Vista Ultimate 32 bit

When i boot up, i get the dual bootscreen asking which os i want to use. I can get into vista, but if i restart and try to get into vista gain i get the following message:

winload.exe
error: 0xc000000e
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Then i try to go into XP, and the xp boot screen starts up and keeps restarting. So i cant get into either os.

If i turn my pc off and start again, i can get into XP, but then if i restart the same thing happens again (I cant get into either).

So i can get into either operating system when i turn on the computer but when i restart in either, i cannot get back in. i have to turn off my pc.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and how to fix this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Sounds like your bootmanager is a bit off kilter. I'd try messing with BCDEDIT to see if there's an option there to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Binoy

Binoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, i have no idea what to look for. Should i just open bcdedit and copy the results into here?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

Sure, give it a try. I'm not real familiar with the tool - but I'm sure that the folks here will be able to get you started with a fix. But the bcdedit is just a shot in the dark by me - it may be other problems that are causing this.

Thinking about this some more - it's unusual that you can't get into Windows of any sort after a reboot. Have you experienced any other issues around the time that this started happening? Have you run a diagnostic on your hard drive to ensure that it's not failing?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

Start by booting up with your Vista DVD and select the repair function. You can then run Vista and with the help of bcdedit sort out the XP boot problem

#6 Binoy

Binoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

I tried that but still no luck.

This is what BCDEDIT is showing:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {ntldr}
displayorder {ntldr}
{ed3a46d4-92e3-11db-8674-c788b53d6b82}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Windows XP Professional

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {ed3a46d4-92e3-11db-8674-c788b53d6b82}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {ed3a46d5-92e3-11db-8674-c788b53d6b82}
nx OptIn

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

I have just looked at my boot loader through Easbcd.There is definitely something wrong in that configuration. Unfortunately my computer config, with three OS's, is a bit different, so I cannot sort it out. I would suggest you download Easybcd and reinstall the bootloader. You have a legit path to XP but the path to Vista is flakey. I THINK the device partition, in the last group, should be saying D:

Edited by uhaligani, 22 January 2007 - 02:26 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

Here's my boot loader info (an unmodified install of the RTM build):

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {fbbc22b9-804b-11db-b13a-9de8f274f309}
displayorder {current}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {fbbc22b9-804b-11db-b13a-9de8f274f309}
nx OptIn

From a quick look, I think that your issues lie in the first section where your system specifies ntldr.

Did you reinstall XP on the C: drive after installing Vista on the D:? Were there any other changes/tweaks done to the boot sectors/files?

Try EasyBCDEdit to see if you can repair it (it has an option for this under the Manage... button). It's available for free from here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Edited by usasma, 23 January 2007 - 08:00 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:10 AM

I've done a bit more reading on this subject, and have found that there's been changes in the treatment of legacy OS's in BCDEdit during the later development of Vista

It seems like the syntax for some of these commands may have changed in Vista Beta 2, for example {ntldr} instead of {legacy}

Also, this may help you if you're using BCDEdit at the command line:

Also, the best command to run to pull the XP boot menu into the Vista bootloader is now bootsect.exe /NT60 All

Finally, here's a stack of links about BCDEdit. The last one may apply to your situation:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/post-580...85df3d19778e44f
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79102
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922809/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

#10 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Here is a copy of mine. It may not be much help as I have Vista on C: as my primary OS and XP on D:
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {ntldr}
{current}
timeout 5

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Windows XP

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f93d0e53-9889-11db-92be-ec68c16f1167}
nx OptIn
quietboot Yes

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

First thing is to ensure that we know what versions each of us are running.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit - RTM build

uhaligani - what version are you running?

Binoy - what version are you running?

It seems to me that (based on my previous links) that you two may be running different builds (Beta1, Beta2, RC1, RC2, RTM) and that may account for the differences.

Try comparing all 3 of our BCDEdit files in an Excel spreadsheet (or OpenOffice) to see the differences. The major differences seem to be in the Boot Loader itself - with some minor issues in the Vista section. I'd suspect the Boot Loader since this affects both XP and Vista.

Edited by usasma, 23 January 2007 - 10:05 AM.

#12 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm in Vista RTM 32 bit. I have been browsing for some examples but the web is awash with different views. Over to you! Maybe a reader could come up with the same needed configuration and a printout?

#13 Binoy

Binoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

I'm running Vista 32-Bit RTM.
XP as primary on C:
Vista on D:
(seperate hard drives)

I didnt install xp after vista. XP was already installed before i installed Vista.

PS: I tried EasyBCD and reinstalled the vista bootloader, but i still have the same problem.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:38 AM

Actually, since we're all using RTM - it makes it rather simple. Notice the references to ntldr and current in uhaligani's boot loader.

Both of you boot off of the C: drive - so the first section should be similar.

First thing is to backup the bootloader and figure out how to restore it (in case any of this hoses it even further).

Next, change the setting in the first section after the "inherit {globalsettings}" entry - that's the one that says "default {ntldr}" change it to "default {current}".

Then change the one that says "{ed3a46d4-92e3-11db-8674-c788b53d6b82}" to "{current}"

You also may want to decrease the timeout to 5 while testing (you can set it back to 30 afterwards).

Then test and see what you can boot into and what you can't. Then we can move on to fixing the actual OS issues. I suspect that you'll be able to load XP, but Vista is a bit questionable at this point.

FWIW - another option is to do a repair on XP (which will restore it's boot loader) and then a repair of Vista (I'm not real solid on this procedure yet - but will be looking into it).

Edited by usasma, 24 January 2007 - 07:42 AM.

#15 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:22 AM

This is an interesting learning experience for us all Binoy. But remember, if you make sure your private data is backed up and secure, a quick remedy would be to reinstall both OS's. This would probably take , tops, about an hour and a half. This correspondence has now taken 7 days! Not to say I understand a lot more now about the Vista bootmng than I did 7 days ago, through browsing and reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users