Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Itsibitsi

Itsibitsi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

The problem is as follows, when playing an online MMO i experience a click sound coming from my computer tower (not really the hardware persay, more like the front of the tower where the restart/power buttons and lights are located) followed by a reduction in the speed of my CPU heatsink fan, when this problem occurs, in-game the screen freezes up (i can still move the mouse cursor, but the game GUI is unresponsive and frozen) momentarily, then resumes rendering as if nothin happened, sometimes (occuring more recently and frenquent) the computer stays in the lag/frozen state and my mouse cursor also freezes and can only be revived by a system restart. In addition to this problem, i have had un-explainable pixilation garbage which improves with the addition of more internal cooling fans and is fixed with a external box-fan.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800E Deluxe
Grfx Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro256
RAM: 1Gb Kingston DDR 400

for the sake of explaination here are some screenshots of the "pixle garbage" that occur without the box-fan present to cool the machine
unassisted: http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grfxproblem2mk3.png
internal fans: http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s...tlyfixedhg3.png

any suggestions would be very helpful, as potential problems that might cause this i have considered the mobo/cpu or grfx card might be overheating (which would explain the improvements to the random pixil confetti) or possibly the powersupply is faulty, which explains the fanspeed reductions... in any event i just wanted a few opinions on the right fautly piece of hardware before i shell out some unnecessary cash on properly working stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hello,

Have you tried overclocking your graphics card? I had similar probs when I did that to mine.
Also, have you downloaded the latest drivers for the card?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Sounds like heat if the fans fix it - check the fans inside the case, especially on the CPU and video card.

Maybe take off the side panel to have a look where the clicks are coming from? (be careful with it open and don't reach inside - there's a lot of danger in doing this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users