Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud C Infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crotonboy

Crotonboy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

My antivirus program(NOD32) detected a infection named Smitfraud C. It occurred while visiting a website while searching for the best buy on a computer. I do not remember the website. NOD32 could not prevent or get rid of it. A Spybot S&D scan found it but could not get rid of it, at least entirely. After the scan it indicated that some of its remnants might be in use in memory and instructed that I answer yes to its request to do a scan at startup...which I did. In fact I repeated the whole process twice. The infection remains. Ad-Aware could not detect it. I did online scans by Panda and Pccillin. They could not find the infection. I bought Webroot Spysweeper did the scan with the same results. The information I have found about this infection is that it is somewhat difficult but not impossible to clean from a system.

Please tell me what my next step should be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

Try this self-help tutorial:
How To Remove The Smitfraud / Generic Zlob / Quicknavigate / Virtual Maid
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Crotonboy

Crotonboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for your advice. I did not get rid of it, however. Found out from a Highjack This analysis that I have a bot that has seriously infected my computer and that the best fix seems to be a reformat and a clean reinstall.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

Was this analysis done by a "human" or was this an automated response? If it was an automated response I would suggest you get a second opinion. You can post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the instructions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Crotonboy

Crotonboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

It was a human resonse to a post I made in the Hijack This forum of Bleeepcomputer.com. I included my Hijack This log files with the post. Thank you for your response and concern. Do you think there is anything else I should try first?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

I would follow whatever advice the Hijack Team member gave you. They are the experts!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users