Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scuzzy Drive?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a ~10 gig scuzzy drive from a friend and it is installed but I have yet to use it for anything. I was hoping to use it as the master drive with my original 40 gig as the slave drive. But I was told that there may be a problem with this, that my other 40 gig drive will not recognize the scuzzy as a master drive no mater what I do.

The only way to work around this is to access the bios and program the PC to run (start?) the scuzzy drive first. I was also recommended to disconnect the 40 gig before programing the scuzzy with an operating system, then I reconnect my 40 gig.

Is this correct instruction so far? This is as far as the person I talked to went into it. They said that they didn't deal with scuzzy much so really couldn't say much. I hope someone here can. I hope that isn't to big of a hope.

So what exactly would I do next?

1. Is this when I reformat the 40 gig? After the scuzzy has the OS on it and is running?
2. How do I partition the drives? When do I? (I never partitioned before).
3. Do I have to put those tab things on the drives to make one a mater and one a slave?
4. Where do you put the tab on the scuzzy? (There isn't a diagram on the scuzzy drive for this like there is on the 40 gig drive).

5. What have I left out?

Thanks,

John :thumbsup:

PS I really need to do a total re-install, I've been postponing it for this.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

The first thing that you need is a boot capable SCSI controller, such as the Adaptec 2940XX. the SCSI drive can then be setup using the scsi bios to be the boot drive.

in most computers you must set the boot order in the bios, as follows:

Note.. these are ide/SATA only, no scsi

CDROM
Floppy
HDD0(boot disabled)
HDD1(Boot disabled), etc

boot from your cdrom using the XP cd, press F6 to see if you need to add the scsi controller disk if the controller is not recognized by XP. insert the disk when called for, and follow the instructions on screen.

PM me a lot of what you were told is incorrect, the steps can be quite involved.

Edited by oldf@rt, 20 January 2007 - 01:13 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Dear Oldf@rt and whom ever,

Thanks for the info. However, I think that I do have a SCSI controller installed-plugged into the mother board. The SCSI drive is cabled to it and I can already save files to the SCSI but I would like to make it the master drive. I know how to do a re-install but I just need to know how to get th re-install started with the SCSI as master drive.

What I don't know is what you mentioned about the SCSI having it's own BIOS. Is this right? Or is the programing I need in the same BIOS as for the other drive?

If you or anyone can tell me the steps involved or where to find a manual for doing this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

Johnz414,

By SCSI bios, _ this is on the scsi card itself, and redirects to the boot scsi drive, if no ide/sata drive is set to boot. lets start with the company and model of the card you have,

if you have windows xp, check in the device manager and post the information on the card that you have.

if your card is bootable, you normally see information at startup such as" Control A" to enter scsi bios.

If the card is bootable, you are able to re install XP without touching any of the other hard drives, It is just a matter of haveing the boot settings correctly configured.

Thanks

OF

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

OK Oldf @ rt,

Sorry to take so long getting back here, I've been busy with work.

I have put a second OS on my PC on the SCSI drive. I now have two OS on my PC and I can boot from either OS, the one on my 40gig drive or the one on my SCSI.

I am now going to look into Partition Magic and Norton Ghost to complete my upgrading.

But here is the info on what I have in case it makes a difference knowing:

1. The SCSI that I have is Quantum Atlas 10K 9WLS.

2. The sub-entry to this is: WDC WD 400BB-OOLFCO.

3. The entry for the SCSI RAID controller is: LSI Logic 53C875/53C876 Device.

I'm hoping that I can delete the OS on the 40gig drive after using Partition Magic. That is my understanding of how that works.

I think both drives consider themselves as master drives. I'm not sure. This is also where I'm a bit confused.

You said:

If the card is boot-able, you are able to re install XP without touching any of the other hard drives, It is just a matter of having the boot settings correctly configured

I have not changes anything in the bios of either drive yet, I think. I did access the SCSI bios and I played around there and I am not sure that I changed anything. I don't think I did. There is not much there and I really didn't fine anything I can change, I think.

Now I'm sure that I can figure out and change the 40gig bios for boot order once I access it. I just need to remember the F key for access to it. is it F10?

So, here would be where my question is about doing all this. Both the drives, the SCSI and the 40 gig have a place on the back of the physical drive for a tab to be placed in a specific slot to determine whether the hard drive is a master or a slave drive. Now if I'm going to be changing the bios around for boot order does anything need to be done with these tabs? I have some tabs from the maker of the PC that I hope are the right ones if I need to do this.

If you know what to do about this, this is where I could use some determination. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Edited by Johnz414, 24 January 2007 - 06:31 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Right now, It appears that you still have the ide as the primary boot drive.

In your bios, normally under the advanced or boot settings you should have the ability to turn off or remove the ide drives from the boot should be something like this:

Floppy
CDROM
SCSI
DISABLED
DISABLED
etc

right now, if you set up the bios like this, your machine wont boot at all, as the boot ini file is on the first IDE drive, you need to turn off the boot options on all ide drives except your secondary master(CD/DVD), boot from this again and re install without any ide hard drives in the boot order.

Dont change any of the jumpers(tabs) on the drives

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Hi Wonderful Oldf @ rt,

I've disabled the ide drive in the bios without changing anything else and my PC will not boot when I do this. It goes through startup till just before the end of startup when it says the "NTLDR"(?) is missing, press "Ctrl - Alt - Delete" to re boot. So, it will not boot off of anything.

I do go back into the bios and set it back to the ide. So, I'm not sure what is happening here? Do I need to change anything else along with disabling the ide?

PS By the way, 59 can't be that old, that's only 8 years away for me.

PPS I took the jumper tab off that would of made the ide a slave drive also.

Edited by Johnz414, 27 January 2007 - 11:04 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

Ok, now with the ide boot disabled (put the jumper back where it was, you dont need to move it.)

re install your operating system from the cd this should make your scsi drive the boot drive.

remember, there two places in the bios the main settings can disable the ide drives so xp wont see them.

the advanced settings will just change the boot priority or disable a devices ability to boot.

you can also run the repair install from the cd

in this order:

{enter to installXP}

{F8}

{R} to repair the existing installation , just make sure to select the installation on the scsi drive.

you should still be able to see the installation on the ide drive.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

A bit OT - but is this place becoming an old folks home? Quite a few of the members are old and grey!

BTW - I'm 54 :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

Let me think Bill Gates -- Steve Jobs yep, this is!!!

#11 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

OK,

This is what I've done:

1. Disabled ide in the first field of the ide bios.

2. And at the same time set up the sequence as you said in the "Advanced" (second) field in the ide bios.
a). Floppy
:thumbsup:. CDROM
c). SCSI
d). Enabled (I left enabled in case I didn't know what I was doing? Should I have?)
e). Disabled

3. Rebooted from CD
a). Began reinatalling sequence till asked for password (administrative?).
:flowers:. I have know idea what the password is???
c). Re-install failed because of this.

4. Reconfigured bios to original settings.
5. Still stuck with ide OS as primary system?
6. Still trying to figure out what password they are referring to? And where I might find it?

7. I've done a search on the ini file that you mentioned. This is what I found:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

It is on the ide drive. And there doesn't seem to be any other ini on my PC other then some AT&T Yahoo! backups that are different.

8. So here is the million dollar question:

a). "Can I just cut and paste this "ini" file from the ide drive to the SCSI drive to get the SCSI to be the primary boot drive?"

:trumpet:. If not why not?
c). If I can, then can I delete the ide OS and not worry?
d). Does the ini need to be rewritten if it can be moved?

Please fill in anything that I may be leaving out. Thank you.

John

PS Do you know how to over ride the password?

PPS Will the SCSI have a bios that looks like the one on the ide if and when it becomes the boot drive? They are different right now. The ide's is much more complete. The SCSI sort of anemic.

Edited by Johnz414, 30 January 2007 - 03:03 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

Re enable the ide drive in the main section of the bios.

d). Enabled (I left enabled in case I didn't know what I was doing? Should I have?)

no the ability to boot needs to be turned off. in this area.

try copying and pasting the boot.ini into the root of the scsi drive. do not cut.

edit it with notepad to read as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

if this does not work, just turn on the boot of the ide drive again.

as far as the password is concerned, sometimes you can just hit enter, if it was setup blank originally.

the ide drive needs to be detected, but not have the bootloader point to it.

please repost with your results

OF

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

More: the scsi bios is complete it has only one purpose -- to boot the scsi drive.

if you cant get around the password, just do a quick format of the scsi drive, and reinstall completely, jus be sure that you have nothing important on this drive.

Edited by oldf@rt, 30 January 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#14 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi Not So Oldf @ rt,

Do you happen to know where to find passwords in the register, at regedit.exe to change them so that I can re-install? That seems to be the only way to do this and until I can get past this password thing I won't be able to re-install.

I've tried partition magic's "delete partition" to try to delete the C partition but no go. Nothing I try on partition magic will do anything to get rid of the ide OS.

So, the only option seems to be getting past the passwords.

I'm kind of getting frustrated waiting to get this done.

So any suggestions here would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

Albert Einstein.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

boot the computer from the cd rom, and use the windows xp setup to remove the partitions. Creat a new partition on the SCSI drive, using the setup defaults. make sure that you have turned off the ide hard drive in the boot order, but not turned off the drive in the main section of the bios. do not create any other partitions until winxp is operating from the SCSI drive.

FYI, partition magic may not let you delete the partition of the main drive (normally IDE 0)which holds the boot.ini file,

also if the bios is setup improperly you will get the message "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND" when you restart fron the text mode portion of setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users