Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

Has anyone ever seen this one before? I got it after closing IE.

MSLS31.DLL

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

You may have to repair of reinstall IE5 or update java to v5.0.

link 1

link 2
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:53 PM

Thanks, Jason. I Googled it and couldn't find anything concrete.
I guess I'm outta luck since I can't get IE6 to 'take' but I did do the repair and hopefully that will help. I got that error twice in two days so I wanted to see what it was. I figured the MS part of that was Microsoft but wasn't sure.

Thanks again.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Interesting...can we continue on this for a bit?

I guess I'm outta luck since I can't get IE6 to 'take'

Neither can I. I'm the poor Compaq owner who (unfortunately) has become expert at doing Full System Restores, something akin to having root canals without Novocaine. I attribute the need for several of the SR's to my attempts to download all of the MS updates for IE, specifically the "big" one that brings in IE6.

After each of the first 3 SR's (which theoretically gave me a clean six-year old version of W98SE on a clean hard drive) I first grabbed Grisoft AVG and ZoneAlarm and then went to windows updates. Each time it showed me something like 15 critically needed patches including the big one. The first time I tried to grab them all in one swoop, but crashed in the process...so badly that I did the #2 SR. I screwed up the #2 SR so forget about that. On #3 SR, I grabbed AVG and ZA then went to MS and sequentially, starting with the oldest, downloaded each patch one at a time with a restart after each one whether asked for or not. Everything went fine until at last I tried for IE6 which downloaded OK, but crashed horribly during the installation. I've read that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Sounds like me.

I'm now (for about a week) happily running on SR #4 (or maybe it's #5). I've got AVG and ZA running and all of the MS updates except for the big one. Ain't going there no more. I'm browsing with Fire Fox and loving it more each day, even deleted the IE short-cut icon off my desktop. Reinstalled all my documents, photos, and music. System resources usually above 80% and HD half-empty. Probably 25 consecutive clean starts where previously I rarely had two in a row. Haven't seen a BSOD yet.

So I'm asking for a reality-check...how much risk am I taking by not having IE6 installed? :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:49 AM

So I'm asking for a reality-check...how much risk am I taking by not having IE6 installed?

That is a very good question, twinsdad and thank you for the detailed update on your current situation.

If you do not use IE that much, then you would really only be at risk for when you are using it. IMHO, as long as you run your anti-virus, keep the firewall going, and be aware of where you are going and what you click, then exposure to the exploits would be minimal.

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

Jason: You folks at BC did all the heavy-lifting on my problem, thanks for continued concern. I'll be careful out there.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:51 PM

Personally, I think there are issues with IE6 not downloading correctly or all the way. I am beginning to think that HJT only searches to see what edition of IE or other browser is installed, not specifically running or working. Boy, I hope that makes sense.
The other problem I have is that when I run certain spyware programs, like Adaware for one, it runs through A LOT of IE5.5 cookies but my cache has already been emptied, in regular mode and safe mode.
This is a quirk I can't fix nor has anyone seemed to be able to tackle, not without trying. But, of course, MS doesn't care or offer help or support in any way. This may be a WinME issue (even though twinsdad doesn't have ME) and they can say they won't be providing patches or support for ME anymore as of 2005 but that is ridiculous and intolerable. They made a ton of money on ME as well as the other OS they have produced. Now, they should be committed to standing by their products, without excuses and without dancing around the issues. I, for one, am outraged. To me, this is just an attempt to force everyone into XP. I hope they reconsider and if not, they should offer those of us with ME a FREE copy of XP or other alternative.

Twinsdad, I haven't done a complete system restore using the disks to see if that fixes the problem. But I did do that about 15 mos ago (had lots of problems and didn't have ANY help or relief - BC wasn't around yet) and since I didn't know about the system restore points, I did a complete system restore. That's when the problems started with TRYING to get IE6 back. Prior to that, I had no problems. So, I don't know what all that means really. I just wish I had answers for us both!
I hope everything else works fabulously without IE for you. I'm considering Firefox as well, although I still have to keep IE for some of the things I do online. Unfortunately. Good luck to you.

~67~

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

TexasAngel67: Please use caution about my posts as I'm about as ignorant of what's going on in my puter as anyone can be and it's a Compaq with all of the weird attributes most folks refer to as "Compaq Moments". I'll take 110% of the blame for getting this machine messed up by not caring about AV until I caught a Magister virus, never installing a firewall, spending WAY too much time swapping music files @ Kazaa and letting my kids (twin 8 year-olds now, but they played with computer from age 5) pretty much have their own way downloading games from who knows where.

Having said that, I totally agree with your comments about MS. Why after several full system restores can't I install IE6? And maybe worse, trying to install IE6 really seems to badly screw things up. If Windows was an automobile, it would have been recalled and never put back on the road again. I'm unable to afford a new computer now and that's why I'm so appreciative of what the folks here at BC did for me, but when I go shopping someday, I don't think I'll even consider a unit with Windows. I look at the BC WinXP forum and see the same horror stories over and over. Two friends of mine are long-time Apple users (not Apple-nuts, pretty-much unsophisticated like me, using them for e-mailing, typing, digital photography, a few games, and surfing the web plus being really cool jukeboxes) and they tell me that they will see a glitch about once ever few months, restart, and everything is OK. No crashes, no BSOD's, etc.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long. I wish you luck with your problems...wish I could help beyond saying that Firefox really seems better and much more user friendly than anything MS has ever shown me. Put differently, if I was on fire and IE was the only way I had to call for help, I'd hesitate before double-clicking on that icon again. :thumbsup:

#9 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

:trumpet: I want to add one more thing here justincase those reading are using it:

I'd ask everyone to stay away from AIM. Every single time my son uses it, I have problems and have to go back to a system restore point.

I don't think you are ignorant at all. Although computers are sometimes complicated, sometimes finicky, and often frustrating, some things should run smoothly. Like, when following instructions and directions TO A 'T', there should just be no problems. But that's technology for you. :inlove:

I thank the Heavens above for Grinler. There are a number of forums out there that offer free help for us but after seeing several of them, none compare to BC. We have Grinler and a GREAT group of people to thank for that. There is always going to be stuff we don't know, regardless of our expertise. When I see experts asking questions, I stop thinking I am an idiot. Which means we will never have ALL the answers. All we can do is continue to ask the questions and take turns working on research. We learn by mistakes. We learn by doing. And Lord knows, we learn by screwing up. :flowers:

I'm in the same boat as you twinsdad. I can't just go out and buy a brand new system every year or two. But I also shouldn't have to. :thumbsup:
Thanks for for hanging here with me. Sometimes it just helps knowing someone else is suffering right along with you. Misery loves company eh? :cool:

~67~

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:11 PM

I've seen many people who have a problem downloading and installing IE6 SP1 and in many cases its the way that MS presents the download/install procedure. The simple way to get it is to call your ISP and DEMAND that they send you their CD. They all have them but most don't talk about them. On that CD will be a version of IE that will be current as of the date the CD was made. It will be customized to show the ISP name in the Title Bar (easily changed, mine says Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by The Dreaded Leurgy because it is :thumbsup: ) and will set your homepage to your ISP's website (again easily changed). Add a few little updates and your off to the races. There are usually a few other goodies on that CD too.

Here is a point that I would like to kick around with the rest of the gang here. Say I have IE5 cause thats what is on my 98SE CD and I just did a format/install. Now, off I go to use Firefox, Netscape or whatever. We all know that IE5 has vulnerabilities but can they be exploited while I'm using Firefox? I'd rather not take the chance that somebody could force a buffer overrun simply because I have a vulnerable file on my PC. But can the security flaws that exist in IE be exploited if your not using IE? Occasionally everybody HAS to use IE if only for a Windows Update also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info, Leurgy. I will call my ISP tomorrow morning and get that CD asap. I have the old one - notice I said 'old', lol. So it definitely doesn't have the IE6 on it. Good idea, too, by the way. I hadn't thought of that. This is assuming my ISP (and all the others) have IE6 on the disk. Worth a shot to find out.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:11 PM

Just occured to me that I had picked up one of those AOL CD's that seem to be everywhere the other day and this is what is on it beyond the AOL stuff.

Internet Explorer 6 for 98, ME and 2000.
Winamp (I like that one)
Adobe 6
Flash
Quicktime
Real Player 8 with RP 9 Codecs
Viewpoint (don't know that one)
Shockwave Flash Player
Java for 98, ME and 2000 (actually I need that right now)
Netscape 7 and an earlier one
Spinner

Not bad for nothing, eh?

Even that AOL CD is a godsend for someone with a dialup connection (IE6 can be 25MB) or even someone with Hi-Speed like me that is plagued with bad downloads from packet loss that my frickin frackin cable ISP won't own up to.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

That is very observant with the CDs. One tip on it: hold the Shift button when the CD tray is going in. It will prevent the autorun on the CD so you can explore it easier.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:10 PM

Forgot about that one Jason. Thanks for the reminder. Had to do the three finger salute when I went to look at the AOL CD.

#15 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

Good info Leurgy and Jason! All of my AOL discs have holes drilled in them to hang from fruit trees to scare the deer away (really, it works!) but I did have an Earthlink CD in the back of a drawer. Explored and found lot's of interesting stuff including two games (Blasterball and Solitaire) and MusicMatch Jukebox. Unfortunately no IE6. I'm gonna put on some scruffy clothes and do some dumpster-diving at the post office looking for more. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users