Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Virtual Mem., Audio Stuttering, Running Slow...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KungFuJude

KungFuJude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

First off, as much as I'd like to call myself a techie, I don't really know what I'm doing most of the time. I really don't have any clue what's going on with my laptop so I'll just lay out the facts and symptoms, and hope that its something I can fix myself.

I have a Dell Inspiron b120 notebook (crappy...I know but it was free) running Windows XP. Other than being a little slow, it worked great until recently. Then AVG Anti-virus quaritined the "gaelicum.exe" virus a couple of weeks ago, which I deleted. I then ran the "vcleaner.exe" to make sure that it was completely gone. Vcleaner showed no evidence of the gaelicum virus or anything else.

And then about a week ago it started having the following symptoms:

-stuttering sound (I use this computer for music production so this is a big problem)
-takes an extremely long time to start-up or restart
-error message "Low Virtual Memory, increasing virtual memory"

We ran AVG Anti-Virus and Ewido Anti-Spyware again (found nothing). I started keeping an eye on my processes to see if there was anything odd in the virtual memory column that might be a memory leak. But I wasn't entirely sure what was "normal" to begin with.

Here's a screenshot of my processes. Seems like a lot to me considering that Firefox is the only thing running at the time. The VM numbers stayed pretty much the same for the amount of time that I was observing them.
Posted Image

But in the last couple of days, the problem took an odd turn for the worse. I use Peoplepc at home for dial-up and for some reason, it will not stay connected. I don't know if this problem is related, but it constantly crashes and tries to reconnect. I haven't been able to connect for more than a few seconds at a time in 2 days. So I brought the laptop to my parent's house and connected via their DSL. The connection is stable but I am now getting a strange error mesesage. A window pops up that says: "Connecting to peoplepc. Redial in 3...2...1..." or something like that. (I'll repost when I can get the exact message). If you close the window (or just let it count down) it will continuely reopen over and over. And this happens for no reason...I haven't even tried to open peoplepc since yesterday. If I restart, it temporarily fixes THAT problem but eventually it will come back each time.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Am I infected (my virus scans and spyware scans find nothing out of the ordinary)? Or is this related souly to my virtual memory problem? Any advice or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hello and welcome,

Firstly remove as many programs as you can.

secondly, go to start then run and type in msconfig click on the startup tab and remove the ticks to some of the entries (google entries before applying)

Next go to start run then type services.msc scroll down the list and turn off the ones you don't need.

then to increase the virtual memory, right click on my computer and select properties. then go to the advanced tab and select settings under the performance part. click advanced and go down to the bottom of the window and click change under virtual memory. it is probably set on system managed size if so you can click custom size and enter a number between 2 and 4096. it should typically be three times your Ram.

A little tip for improving performance is to bring up the task manager and find the process that you are using say wmplayer for media player and right click on the process and set the priority to avove normal

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

Of the few processes I checked, it looks like you have a couple you don't need to have running, and one problem:
wmiprvse.exe - Added by the SONEBOT-B WORM

Run these online virus scanners:
BitDefender
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

Are you running 2 antivirus in real-time protection mode (AVG, and McAfee)?
If so, you need to pick one, and disable the other one.
Running 2 AV's will cause conflicts, possibly rendering both AV's inoperable.

Also, go through your processes, using the Startup List, at the top of this page, and Google.
Disable any unnecessary programs from running at startup.

Low Virtual Memory warnings usually indicate a lack of RAM.
How much RAM do you have installed?
Right click My Computer, and select Properties.
Under the General tab you will find how much RAM you have.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hello

I thought wmiprvse.exe was a part of windows,
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/wmiprvse/
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

That depends on its file location which cannot be determined from the screenshot in Taskmanager.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 KungFuJude

KungFuJude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

I did a search on my computer for "wmiprvse.exe" with 3 results

wmiprvse.exe in folder C:\1386
wmiprvse.exe-OD449B4F.pf in folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
wmiprvse in folder C:\WINDOWS\system3\wbem

I dunno if that helps determine whether or not its a virus.

Also, McAfee was installed on the computer when I got it (Free Trial). When the trial expired, I started using AVG. Today, I made sure that McAfee was disabled and the Virus Protection IS disabled, however the Firewall is in use. Does that still effect AVG?

I did what was advised with the startups and I'm now running the TrendMicro-House Call program. Then I will restart and let you all know what happens next.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:06 AM

Hello,
Looking at its locations, and comparing them, I would say that it is not a virus, as I have them in the same place, And have spent 2 days cleaning out my pc with virtually every antivirus program that is available as well as spyware and so on. As long as you have an antivirus product running and gettin updates it should be fine.

What firewall are you using? The firewall should not conflict with AVG except it might not let it update, but other than that it should be fine.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 20 January 2007 - 07:08 AM.

Regards,

Alan.

#8 KungFuJude

KungFuJude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

I'm using the McAfee firewall and it doesn't interfere with any updates.

The problem seems to be getting worse. I can still get online from my parent's house but it is slower than ever. And I can't get online from my usual dialup program at all. The sound is still stuttering as well.

I've run SO many anti-virus programs and anti-spyware and nothing has come up with anything. I probably don't have enough RAM...I have 248MB. I knew it was a crappy computer, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

So um, stupid question but I've never had this problem before...how exactly does one come across more RAM?

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hello,

What are the specs of the system? right click on my computer click properties. Also how many processes are in that task manager now?

Download these tools...
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php This will tell you loads of info about the processor and the RAM, When you open it, click on memory and SPD tabs, you are looking for something that says PC then 4 numbers ie PC2700. thats the RAM info you need,
Once you have the RAM PC number, you can search many online shops that sell it

Download and run advanced windows care http://www.iobit.com/ it is a very handy tool, should help speed up the system.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users