Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.e. 6 Occasionally Acting Strange

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andaco36

andaco36

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

This doesn't happen every time I use the internet, but it has happened on several occasions and I have absolutely no idea why or if it is able to be fixed, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anybody has any ideas.

I can be surfing the net with no problems, then all of a sudden new browser windows will open - on their own, not just 1 or 2 but upwards of 50, one after another after another - all white with nothing in them. As fast as I try to close them others keep opening. The version of I.E that I'm using is - 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Hi andaco36.

When these blank windows open are the pages called About:blank?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 andaco36

andaco36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hi TMacK

No, although I have had those in the past, but when the multiple browser windows open they don't say that.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

I see that you've just got a clean bill of health from our HijackThis Team,so we can pretty well rule out Spyware or Virus activity.

You can try disabling any other program that might be interfering with IE. Look at ad-blockers, privacy/security, toolbars or other add-ons to IE, etc.

If that doesn't work,go to Start / Run and register the following dll's by using regsvr32 command. Try the first 2, then see if it resolves the problem. If not then register the rest of the .dll's:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll?
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll?
regsvr32 msxml.dll?
regsvr32 mshtml.dll?
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll?
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll?

If that doesn't work, then check out the following article and try the additional steps outlined Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 andaco36

andaco36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Thanks, as I said it doesn't happen all the time...just sometimes.

I've just tried to register the dlls that you said and the ones that didn't end in a ? were ok, but all the ones that ended in a ? wouldn't register...they all failed with the following error message: LoadLibrary("urlmon.dll?") failed - The specified module could not be found

Is that serious? or does it not really matter? Excuse my ignorance :thumbsup:

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

Seeing as that didn't fix it,lets try this;

Go to Start/run, and type SFC (msconfig for WinXP).
Choose 'Extract One File From Installation Disk' ("Expand File" for WinXP).
Type oleaut32.dll, not worrying about its location. Then click Start.

Next to 'Restore From', type in or browse for the file's location, which is probably in the Win98 (i386 for WinXP) folder of your installation CD-ROM (typically D:\Win98), or in your Windows\Options\Cabs (Windows\i386 for WinXP) folder, as the case may be.

Then, next to 'Save File In', enter C:\Windows\System (C:\Windows\System32 for WinXP), and click OK. System File Checker (or msconfig) looks for the file, saves it as you requested, and then tells you that 'the file has been successfully extracted'.

You may need to reboot.

See This article and scroll down to "If You Get A Blank Page".
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

Since you have sp2 you should upgrade to ie7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users