Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone Low Volume

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dlite13

dlite13

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

I have a Cyber Acoustics usb microphone for my computer and the input volume of it is increadibally low. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live 24Bit Sound card. I used to use on board sound but it had the same problem hence the switch. And Ideas as to why I have to eat the microphone to hear myself in the speakers. And its not a faulty mic as this is the third headset i've owened with the same problem. I've run windows sound tests on it and set all the volumes to max and still I'm having to taste a little plastic to have my voice heard.

Thanks In Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hello, you say, that you have done the windows tests have you tried using the creative system tools?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 dlite13

dlite13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thats in control panel correct? The icon labeled Device Control With a picture of a sound card and speaker on it? I can click on it but everything is disabled when the headset is plugged in. Then when I plug the head set in I get the following error when trying to open the control.

RUN DLL
"An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\USBAudio.cpl",Device Control"

I had onboard sound but its disabled so that wouldn't affect anything? I also uninstalled the driver for the onboard sound. So I guess it wouldn't.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hello,

that probably is the correct icon, is the sound device selected as default, go to control pannel look for the sounds and audio devices icon, click on it and on the audio and voice tabs make sure that they are set to the sound card.

Did you disable the onboard device in the bios? It might also be worth looking in your services menu and see if anything sound related has been disabled, go to start run then type services.msc look for windows audio, anything to do with the sound card and any services associated with the headset or mic.

If these don't work, you could try replacing the shell32.dll http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shell32
Regards,

Alan.

#5 dlite13

dlite13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

Windows sound runs fine in services.smc

When i'm installing the dll file do I put it in the system or system 32 folder. And Do I delete the current 8.7Meg shell32 file for the new 1.7 meg one?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Hello,

I would first make a backup of the shell32 file, then place the downloaded one into C:WINDOWS/system32.
Then reboot, see if works. If it says can't replace file or words to that effect, download a program called unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ which should allow you to move it.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 dlite13

dlite13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

I did a backup of the old shell.dll
Then installed the new one rebooted.
As it stands I still get the same error.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hello,
Plan B. Go to start then to run and type in dxdiag run the sound tests see if it a problem with the card itself.

Try uninstalling the sound drivers on both the onboard and the creative ones, then deleting the relevent folders in program files, once this has been done, download tune up utilities http://www.tune-up.com/ run its disk cleanup and registry cleanup. once this has been done, restart the pc.

Reinstall the sound card software from its cd then do an automatic update.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users