Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Running/internet Pages Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reggieboy

reggieboy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:42 AM

My McAfee subscription expired and I have now loaded AVG Anti-Spyware and ZoneAlarm. Since then my PC has been a bit temperamental (sometimes slow to load web pages or not loading them at all). Could you advise if there are any problems. From time to time the PC will crash altogether and I have to switch the power off/on to get it re-started. I have recently de-fragged as well, but no real improvement in performance.

Around the same time I was trying to download IE7 and it kept failing. The Window help suggested de-activating all Firewalls (I also have SpySweeper) but it still did not complete IE7 download. I have not bothered trying anymore but wondered if something hasd got through while I had no Firewall.

I have posted aHiJack This scan in the relevant forum and Old Timer suggested posted the questin with yourselves as he was not able to see anything wrong.

I hope you can help.

reggieboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hi there,

I use AVG and Zonealarm too, but don't experience what you are. Having said that that there could be glitched between the two that are preventing you from accessing the web.

In the meantime I would personally get hold of the latest updates for AVG, ZoneAlarm and any other spyware/adaware program, disconnect from the internet (unplug your modem/router) uninstall your current defences (AVG, ZoneAlarm etc), then add your firewall (ZoneAlarm) following the on-screen instructions then add your spyware/adware/anti-virus software and do a full system scan.

Forget about IE7, stick to IE6 (reinstall that too).

Hope that helps
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

Have you done this
To further remove all traces :
Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Running two AV will drasticly slow your PC

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

I would doublecheck to make sure that McAfee is completely uninstalled and remove any folders remaining that you can identify as belong to McAfee. I might also suggest you switch browsers to Opera or Firefox; if either or both of these improve performance (which I would think they would), then you may have encountered problems with upgrading IE.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 January 2007 - 11:24 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

I've had sporadic issues with ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarmPro blocking things that they shouldn't - and no notices reflecting the action.

Try shutting down ZA temporarily to see if it fixes the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users