Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:02 PM

I tried repairing a hard disc using the Windows XP CD but there was something wrong with the system files and it wouldnt detect the CD.
So I took out the Hard disc and slaved it to another PC and formatted it there. The format was done succesfully and everything seemed OK. I noticed also that the hard disc was quiet hot when I removed it.
Now I tried reinstalling Windows XP back into it after setting the CMOS settings to

First Boot Device =CD
second Boot Device = HDD0

And the message that I get now is

"NTLDR IS MISSING"
Press CTRL + ALT +DEL to restart
:cool:

(and it wont even restart if I press CTRL + ALT +DEL )after I am told to press any key to boot from CD. :trumpet: :inlove:
I am running out of options and need help...... any bright ideas from anybody pleeeaaasse.......!!!!!!
:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by jdukze, 18 January 2007 - 11:05 PM.

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

See if anything here helps:
NTLDR is Missing
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

First make sure those boot up settings have been saved in your Bios. If they have, then your problem is simple, your installation CD is no longer bootable. It has either become dirty or scratched. Try cleaning it up with a soft cloth and boot again. In the worst case, your CD drive has gone on the blink. Watch the lights and see if it is trying to access the CD. If it is bypassing the CD, then the computer is looking for an OS on the HD, which at the moment, if I follow you, does not exist.

#4 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

My CD's are OK they are not scratched or dirty, infact I tried 3 Windows XP installation discs, 2 at least could not read at all,(but they have worked on other computers), and 1 booted immediately but the missing ntldr message came on again. I sort of suspected the CDROM at first because it was kinda slow in booting.
I am reviewing on how I formated the hard disc it must have been in FAT instead of NTFS.
I have reformated again this time in NTFS, and will try reinstalling again.
I believe it will work this time.
:thumbsup: :flowers:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:04 AM

Formatting for XP should really be done in NTFS. However, this will not make any difference to your problem as it is not getting as far as to read the HD. If you have just formatted the HD, then NTLDR is, in any case, missing on the HD. If these are original CD's, then the problem points to your CD drive not being able to read them. If they are copies, then an error has been made in the procedure. If you can access the cd, in any way, try copying all the files into a directory on the HD and installing from there - might work.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

A nifty tool (that I haven't tried myself) is this free ntldr fix: http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users