Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jjoe

Jjoe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I installed a xp pro upgaded to my computer and I wasn't able to stay on line. It seemed like the windows system worked alright. I have a compaq presario 7360, I have upgraded to a 60gig hard drive and 256 mb of sdram. I had window me as an os. I'm thinking I didn't have enough ram. When I was on line (dial up) it would load sites but just wouldn 't stay on line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superkingleeds

superkingleeds

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

Hi there, sorry to jump straight into your thread, but i had exactly the same problem, ie. i have compaq presario 7471, since i uninstalled xpro i have got 256 ram and 40 gig h.drive. Iwas told that my cpu wasn,t powerful enough to run it, but haven,t reinstalled xpro.

#3 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Superkingleeds. Specs. on the box says my AMD K6 processor will work and 128 mb of ram but defiantly a problem.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

Did you update the modem or NIC drivers? The standard drivers that XP installs may not be working well.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

I upgraded my modem 2 or 3 years ago with a CNXT V92 PCI Modem. I'm not sure what the NIC drivers are.What are they and how do I do it. Thanks

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

I upgraded my modem 2 or 3 years ago with a CNXT V92 PCI Modem. I'm not sure what the NIC drivers are.What are they and how do I do it. Thanks

You need to obtain the WinXP drivers for that modem and install them. The standard drivers that XP loads during install are not that great. NIC drivers are for an Ethernet card (broadband).

Modem Issues, Auto-Connect/Disconnect & Dialup for Windows XP
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Adding to TT75's recommendations, here is a recommended download from the manufacturer concerning the XP drivers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will install xp agin tomorrow and try agin.

#9 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Well I installed Xp Pro on my computer agin and same thing happens.I tried all sugestions and nothing seems to work. The os works great and when I'm on line internet works fine but I can only stay on line for about 10 minutes and I get disconnected. Any more ideas????????? I'm stumped.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:02 AM

I don't know about XP, but with W2k you can right click on IE, choose properties, chosse connections, choose settings, choose advanced. There should be a box with Disconnect if idle next to it, uncheck this box and see if that solves your problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Jjoe

Jjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Good news my problem has been windows firewall. I disabled it and I've been on line for 3 hrs. I want to thank everyone for their help.dc3 I checked what you suggested but it's not their on xp pro. I'll get into the settings for the firewall and see what I can do. THANKS agin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users