Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quarantine Folder Overwhelm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FALCONLEADER

FALCONLEADER

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

Using Windows XP. The hard drive is a 40 gig drive. After dealing with a number of spyware issues, I noticed a folder with somewhere around 87,000 files in it consuming 17.7 gigabytes of memory. The path is c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\AOL\UserProfiles\All Users\antiSpyware\quarantine\quarantine. It takes a good long cup of coffee just to query the contents of the folder. Lots of tmp files and zip files of varying sizes. The compressed files are numerically named. Is there any reason I should not just delete all of the files? I should say the system I refer to is not mine. I am attempting a fix of a friend's who along with her two sons left it wide open. There is now a firewall in place and antivirus software running. Adaware and Spybot still come up with issues, though not as severe. Got a bogged down system and wondered if the above mentioned large folder played a role.

Thanks

Edited by FALCONLEADER, 18 January 2007 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

You could use more than 3 words to explain your problem

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

That is a huge file! I would delete it. Hope you can. You should use some of the better antimalware programs like the two below to help Adaware and Spybot.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Run the super antispyware in safe mode. Bit Defender is a fully functional online scanner.
I would also suggest using Ccleaner before doing the scans to remove all the temporary files and logs that will slow down the scanning time.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users