Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Fps Wtih X1300 Pci

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have been getting very low fps in Guild Wars Factions (6-8 is average) with my ATI Radeon x1300 PCI 256mb. So I've been asking at a Guild Wars forum that the topic has gone on to 5 pages now, and someone has the same exact problem, with the same exact card. No one can figure this out.

All other games work fine such as Fable, Warrock, and Need for Speed underground 2. Why I'm bringing this up again is I took a benchmark test useing 3dmark06 and was getting unrealistic FPS. I was getting no higher then 4, and it was usually around 2 or less. One simulation it even closed out of 3 times because it wasn't getting any FPS. I've also tried overclocking my graphics card to core 550Mhz (from 450) and 2x340mhz memory (from 2x260). This didn't make a difference in Guild Wars or the benchmark test. The weird part is with my integrated graphics I was getting like 15 FPS in Guild Wars, and I'm going to try that benchmark test useing it. They're not very good integrated graphics either, one of those Intel G series 96mb. Some people have jsut said its because it's PCI slot, but I know there has to be another reason. Even if it is, it's above the requirements and couldn't they say no PCI graphics cards.

Well sorry for this long post which is almost like the last one, but I am very desperate for an answer. Thanks!

System Specs:
Pentium 4 processor- 2.8Ghz 1mb L2 cache
512mb (256x2) DDR 400
ATI Radeon x1300 256mb PCI
80 gb. Western Digital HDD
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

You are misinterpreting 3DMark06. Is is an synthetic benchmark only useful for comparing different graphics cards to each other. You cannot use it to determine how well you graphics card will perform in a game. It is also designed to stress even the fastest graphics card on the market. I, with a 7800GTX, get only 10-15 fps, so 2 to 4 is damn good for a PCI card. Thirdly, the fps you get isn't as interesting at the score.

I have never touched Guild Wars but I will go out on a limb here and suggest it might be due to the x1300 supporting some graphical features the integrated doesn't. Guild Wars might have turned them on automatically, and that is what is hurting your performance.

Another idea is that Guild Wars does something that needs a lot of bandwidth between CPU/RAM and the graphics core, since a integrated graphics core will have a lot more CPU-GPU bandwidth than a PCI card. To test this you would need another PCI card.

EDIT: Another thing you could try is to force it to run in DirectX 8 mode, by adding -dx8 to the target in the shortcut properties, so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -dx8

Edited by Mr Alpha, 18 January 2007 - 05:41 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

Oh wow I feel like an idiot. My score was under 1,000 I remember. Maybe I'll run some other benchmark test too. Oh and I already tried that direct x 8 thing before, but it didn't work. I've already messed around with the graphics settings in the game and in ATI catalyst control center, but maybe theres something I missed. Still thanks for the reply I really appreciate it!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users