Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Anytime Upgrade And The Ability To Download Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

Microsoft announced yesterday two new methods of upgrading Windows Vista. The first announcement is about having the ability to upgrade your version of Windows Vista to a more expensive version using Anytime Upgrade. Anytime Upgrade allows you to visit a Microsoft site and purchase a product ID for a more "feature-rich" version of Vista. You can then use that ID to upgrade your existing version by simply inserting the Vista DVD that you purchased previously or that came with your computer. The second announcement is the ability to actually purchase and download Windows Vista and Office 2007 directly from the Microsoft Windows Marketplace site. They say this option wont be available till the 30th, but the link to the site states it will be open on the 29th.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

Grinler, I hope it's okay I've added this here?

Noticed the below in the 'Kim Komando' computer newsletter I received:

(Quote) "Machines purchased 2006 through March 15, 2007 may be eligible for an upgrade. and you may be entitled to a free or discounted upgrade to Vista. Most manufacturers offer this.

The version of XP on the machine determines which version of Vista you can get. For information from each manufacturer, visit Microsoft's site. It links to details on individual manufacturers' sites. (Unquote)

All one has to do is go to below site and enter the manufacturer of computer and poof, it list exactly what you will have to pay to upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getr...essupgrade.mspx
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

Oh my dod, now I've done it!! Just noticed this thread is for Moderators only! So, so sorry and please delete my earlier post and I'll slap myself on the wrists!

Thanks, Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

No its not for moderators only :thumbsup: Nice addition!

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

MaraM,

Though only certain staff can start a topic in the News forum at this time,
(due to some formating requirements)
all members are welcome to add to threads or comment.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Thanks Grinler and KoanYorel! I was so relieved to read your posts this morning - yipee!!

Kindest thoughts always,
Mara

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

Just wondering ...

I don't actually want to upgrade to Vista right now (still mastering my XP - gentle grin), but if I wait until after the 15th of March and decide to do it in the coming months or years, the price will be huge!

So ... if the Vista upgrade download comes 'zipped', do you think it would fit on a single large capacity CD?
And if so, then I could simply download it now at this great price and use it in the future perhaps.

Or I wonder if they have a built in 'no no' preventing it from downloading anywhere but within an actual hard drive? Or worse, would my idea be somehow 'cheating' Microsoft? (I'd never give the CD to anyone unless I gave this actual computer to them as well).

Thanks so much...
Mara

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

You should be able to store it on any medium. From what I understand, though, you will be sent a dvd installation kit.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

If M$ doesnt allow they burning of the d/l'ed upgrade they will need to send a disk to the customers.

My experiance w/ upgradeing Windows is very bad. So ive gone to just backing up all my files I want to carry over and then doing a fresh install of the OS even in linux I do this now.

Posted Image

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

Okay, thanks! And oops, I had missed that it was via CD and not a direct download.

The more I think about it, the less interested I am in upgrading to Vista anyway. A lot of my software is actually written for Windows 95/98 and it's only with the built-in 'Windows Compatibility' thing that some of them are still working on this Windows XP. Besides, in reality, by the time I simply must upgrade to Vista because of Microsoft no longer supporting XP, I'll likely need a complete new computer.

But I'm really glad to see that they are making this offer. The computers in schools alone would cost a fortune to upgrade with it - yipee for Microsoft!

Thanks again for all your great help here at our Bleeping,

Kind thoughts,
Mara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users