Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow To Boot But Better After A While

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Den P

Den P

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

My computer is slow to, or will not boot up from Standy when it is cool in the room. After a period of time, which has increased over the last week, and multiple boots, it will boot and work but not at the speed it should.

I have cleaned out the case and removed and reinstalled the various cables but no change.

I have an Compaq S6500NX, Xp system.

I have added or removed no software for some time.

Once the system has warmed up enough to run an application I ran PC Doctor with all tests passing.

I ran Computer Manager and came up with some errors pretty consistently:
W32Time numbers 17 and 19 which refer to receiving time from NtpClient.
Service Control Manager number 7000 each refering to different items like nVidia, mrtRate and other things.

On a more random frequency I also get atapi error 9 and 11. Also a disk 7 error.

When I first try to boot up I can get any number of errors: missing files, boot problems, missing apps, etc.

Once the compter has warmed up everything works but at a slower rate than it used to.

It is almost as if the clock was being interrupted, things work but a verying slow rates.

I run anti virus and a firewall.

HP tells me to do a Recovery but I don't see it. If it were a software problem the symptoms would not change as the computer warmed up.

Amy help would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Den P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

first try this memory test and post back the results

#3 Den P

Den P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thank you fozzie for the interest.

I ran the Mentest-86 v3.2 as you suggested. The test took 23 minutes to run but came up with zero error.
It did note correctly that I had an AMD chip at 2158 MHz.

As I am afraid to turn off my sytem or place it in standby I have left it on for the last day. It still works but slower than it should. Going on the Net is slow but I can't rule out my Qwest DSL line.

After running the memory test I had to reboot. My normal boot time is about four minutes. It now take seven but does boot up to a normal windows state.

If it were not for the boot up problems when the system is cold I would think that I had malware but that doesn't explain the many reboots it takes to get the system up when it hasn't been on for a day. Once the system has warmed up for an hour it will reboot normally but at a slower rate.

Any new ideas.

Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

Actually, before doing the first thing (below), I'd suggest backing up your data in case this is a sign of an impending hardware failure.

Then the first thing to do is to double check for viruses and malware. Try these free online scans:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After being assured that you're clean - then it's time to start looking at the errors. I'd be particularly concerned about the one's that reference:
nVidia
disk 7 error
atapi errors

Right click on them and select "Properties" then let us know what the text says about the errors. In particular, the info that we're looking for is described in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

The W32Time errors are usually "normal" - they generally refer to the system being unable to update the time (usually because the time server is down). You should be able to find an Information message after the error that says it successfully got the time.

The mrtRate driver issue is a bit more complex. Most references show it being related to Quicken, but I get it on my system and have never had Quicken (or any other Intuit software) installed on it. Others refer to it as a Rate Sensing Driver by Marimba. It doesn't seem to affect things much - so I'd watch it for now. If you've got Quicken, you can try uninstalling it - then reinstalling the latest version with all the updates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Den P

Den P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

I am back. No good news. Thank you usasma for the help.

I ran the suggested Housecall.trendmicro.com software. The only thing that came back was six cookies (I run DClean often)

Looking at the errors:
disk 7: \Device\Harddisk0\C has a bad block
disk51: \Device|Harddisk0\C during a paging operation
atapi9: \Device\Ide\IdePort2 the device detected a controller error

I get a lot of the following Service Control Manager errors: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response time from the stisvc service

I had the computer in Standby overnight. When I hit the space bar this morning it took two minutes to come up to a full ready state vice the few seconds it used to take. Rater than the hard drive running pretty consistantly it would tick for a split second and then wait for up to two seconds and then respond again.

As soon as I reached the ready state from Standby I ran HD Tune again as suggested earlier. Every test came back with an ok. The only change I noticed from the other day is that the minimum transfer speed went down to zero where it was 1 point something the other day.

Here are a couple of other things I noticed while coming from Standby to full operation this morning:
It took a good two minutes to reach normal
If I was trying to move the mouse it would often freeze for up to several seconds
The hard drive sounded like it was being accessed for a very quick burst (split second) and then rested for a second to three seconds before the next burst. It was never tracking for mor than a second at a time.
While on the Web it takes way longer than it should for anything to happen . I have DSL now but things are several times slower than when I was still using dial-up six months ago.

I also did a Restore Point back for three weeks and there was no change in my problem.

My system continually gets slower. I hope someone can help me before it won't respond at all.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

I suspect a failing Hard Drive because of the errors and the slowness. I've seen this recently when running a diagnostic test on a laptop with a bad hard drive. The test takes much longer to run (if the hard drive is dying) than it does if the hard drive is OK. The controller error could point at the mobo or the hard drive.

So, the absolute first thing to do is to backup your data. If the drive dies - there goes your data!

Then I'd suggest that you download the free diagnostic utilities available from the manufacturer of your hard drive and use them to analyze your drive. If it's not the hard drive, then we'll have to look elsewhere for the cause).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Den P

Den P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thank you asasma.

I think you were right. The computer finally stopped working after initial Bios operations. I reallized there was a built in testing program as part of my bios and once it was enabled it also told me I had a bad hard drive.

So now that computer is down hard until I decide whether to rebuild it or not. I need a new hard drive. The recovery disk that Microsoft allows you to build one copy of failed when I was making it years ago.

I guess now I have to decide whether the computer is worth a new hard drive and a full copy of Xp.

This will probably be my last post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users